Russian seeds

• 9 Replies

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
Russian seeds
« on: July 14, 2013, 13:02 »
Hi guys.

I was bored and browsing evilbay, when I came across some Russian seeds....
The price is tempting, although I am not expecting the 50cm cucs that they advertise. Is there anything wrong with sowing foreign seeds at all?

Many thanks in advance
2013 Halifax Horticultural show.
French beans winner :)

Beetroot queen

Re: Russian seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 13:22 »
One of my older two is into " nothing to declare" i didnt think we could bring in foreign seeds. I ordered a pack of seeds of amazon that came from china i didnt realise when ordering but the green cutoms form said it was nail art.

I cant even remember what seeds they were but i dont think any grew at all.  :wacko:

Maybe its just certain countries but the nail art declaration did make me wonder

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 13:25 »
The 'seller' is based in the UK, but the packs are in Russian - the English destructions are on the evilbay listing (so I have to copy them out lol).

I think I am good to grow ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 13:39 »
If you think you need to speak to your plants to give them some encouragement you could do a lot worse than watch "A Fish called Wanda" first - a bit of Russian certainly worked quite well for John Cleese as far as Jamie Lee Curtis was concerned (well, nearly!)  :lol:

LINK
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 14:20 »
A lady down our site is growing Russian peas and toms. The peas are very sweet, but yield no more than ordinary peas. The toms are supposed to grow 6ft tall, but then as hubby wasn't paying attention, ours in the poly have reached that height!! Think its a gimmick.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 15:06 »
Russian seeds would be aimed more toward their shorter growing season, which is a plus if you live in a short growing time area. Some varieties are sweeter than regular varieties, but it's all dependent on personal taste.

In particular, Russian tomatoes are popular, eg Brandywine, Stupice, etc as they're very hardy and grow quickly. Other local countries have bred them on to current names.

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 17:44 »
I have tried growing them for someone else, (several varieties) and had the poorest germination of seeds I have ever had (bar one company that I will never use again) I got just the odd plant out of it and none were anything special. Always wondered whether I was just unlucky, but have never felt like spending more to try again. :)

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 17:47 »
By the way they were all from one particular ebay seller, not Russian seeds from several places which may also be different. :)

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 19:09 »
i grew russion last year with good results,,this year im growing,,russion peas   massive brocolli xl caulis,,onions,,cabbage,,,brocolli was 10in across   now all in the freezer,,caulis so far ive picked 1 today was very heavey about 8 in across an very white tight packed curves,,but remember theres not mant seeds in the packs,,,but the harvest is good,,allready have my seeds for next year,,onions are bulbing up well too,,peas are great    had 1 feed from those an a really amazing taste   ,,cooked ot raw,,wish you luck

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 17:18 »
Thank you all for the feedback - I have decided to order 7 packs (it doesnt state how many is in the pack like) - I will keep this thread updated next year with the results :)

xx
russian seeds

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 20:18
by mattwragg94
xx
Russian Tarragon?

Started by Ali T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2024, 17:00
by New shoot
xx
Russian Giant

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2024, 17:06
by Fisherman
xx
Black Russian tomatoes

Started by Roxane on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2014, 08:56
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 33 queries.