Probe-type Ph Testers - Any good?

• 4 Replies

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
Probe-type Ph Testers - Any good?
« on: March 04, 2012, 18:56 »
The title of the thread asks it all really, but just to clarify I mean one of these:

I bought one from Aldi the other week, but what causes me to doubt if they're any good is that I can get massive difference in readings within a few inches of each other (although I do get the same reading in the same spot if taken at different times). I figured the way to get an accurate reading for a particular bed was to take about 10 readings over a 10' by 4' patch and then take the average. Normally about seven out of ten readings come up roughly the same as ever so slightly acidic.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Probe-type Ph Testers - Any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 20:12 »
It is generally said that the test tube ones are more reliable than the probes; if I recall correctly the probes rely on the moisture level being sufficient in the soil??
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 20:33 »
I think that for the probe types to be any good you need to spend several £100s. The cheap ones are no better than litmus paper.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 21:43 »
I sent one back to the supplier because I thought it was faulty, the replacement was no better, so I think they're a waste of money  :(

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:20 »
I think that for the probe types to be any good you need to spend several £100s. The cheap ones are no better than litmus paper.
You have to calibrate pH meter first with mixes from set and, of cause, made mixes with distilled water  ::) I have cheap pH-meter with glass electrode, but it' working good enough. By the way it have to be stored in distillated water, covering electrodes.

Toy on the picture will show you weather or harvest of bananas in pacific islands, but not pH

wireless
soil testers

Started by compoQ on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 19:28
by compoQ
xx
Soil pH and nutrient testers.

Started by Goosegirl on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2021, 21:03
by Yorkie
xx
3in1 soil testers

Started by safetrade on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 21:12
by safetrade
xx
What Type Of Hoe Should I Buy

Started by pookey on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 20:13
by shaun

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.