Norlett Beaver Power Spade

• 14 Replies

El

« on: June 21, 2008, 13:07 »
I have a Norlett Beaver Power Spade which is a great little garden rotovator. Can anyone tell me any of the history of this machine? I've tried googling Norlett but am not getting far. I wonder when it was made - how old it is - where one would obtain spares if required etc. It has a Stratton & Briggs engine. The number on the plate is 010764.

Can any one help, please?

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 18:08 »
Hello,
 Norlett and Flymo had associations at one time (Flymo-Norlett)...It could be that the Flymo PowaSpade and the Norlett Beaver PowerSpade are one and the same???

I seem to think that on starting my second employ' in the mower world starting in 1984 that we had an electric Beaver Powerspade that sat in the showroom.

If you conclude that the engine is original and that its starter cowling is original too then the engine date Code the 3rd in the set of B&S numbers stamped into the tinwork will give the definite age of the engine right down to the day of manufacture....Code reading year/month/day/factory number.

Newly built engines may be in stock for a year or so and completed machines sat in warehouses and showrooms a while too..so it may have been a couple of years from engine build date before it reached a garden to till over...

I suspect new machine spares may be thin on the ground?? unless a long established Flymo agent has spares lurking about although general engine parts should not be a problem from any good local machinery agent  or an online agent etc.  

"Dori"

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 21:14 »
According to my book the flymo power spade was available in the eights and there was indeed a electric model. All flymo cultivators were discontinued in 1984
always have a target
and an objective.

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:56 »
Quote from: "dorimower"

Norlett and Flymo had associations at one time (Flymo-Norlett)...It could be that the Flymo PowaSpade and the Norlett Beaver PowerSpade are one and the same???

I should add that in this ref I mean...under their own respective brand colour paint.

"Dori"

El

Norlett Power Spade
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 17:10 »
To all who have seen and replied, many thanks.

As far as I am aware the engine is original and so will check if there is more than one set of numbers to give the definitive date.Your information has been very helpful. Thanks.

dave shann

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 16:45 »
I have an electric beaver powerspade, got it last week for £10, its great.

marktheherald

Re: Norlett Beaver Power Spade
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 16:44 »
Hi, just googled this topic and have now signed up.  I also have a Norlett Power Spade with the B&S engine and have just stripped the teeth on the gear head cross shaft.  Did anybody have any luck locating spares?  A forlorn hope methinks, as it is at least 30 yrs old!   Mark.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 01:12 »
I have 2 such machines , now have sheared drive shafts . Between the Engine and Rotavator Gearbox. Now I had no luck with spares , but I went to an old Forge . There they made me up two more shafts with a keyway one end and tha Square drive the other. Cost 55 quid. They are back working well again. I also use Molyslip oil protection in the Engine ( Less wear ) , and Molyslip gear oil in the Gearbox( Also less wear ). Redex in the fuel( Cleaner Combustion longer lastting ) . They should go ON n on n on n !!!!

Oh I even put Molyslip in my car engine oil ( NON Auto Transmission) & if a sepaerate Manual Gearbox use the desired stuff in there. & Redex in the Fuel ( Petrol or Diesel )( cleaner running , more economy).

Parry

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 13:51 »
Hi, just googled this topic and have now signed up.  I also have a Norlett Power Spade with the B&S engine and have just stripped the teeth on the gear head cross shaft.  Did anybody have any luck locating spares?  A forlorn hope methinks, as it is at least 30 yrs old!   Mark.

I have a gearhead and shaft and tines if you wand them if its the same model

grendel

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 23:36 »
I have just won one of these on ebay, it has a seized engine that I hope to be able to sort out or replace. mine has an Aspera engine.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

bluedog

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 18:11 »
 :tongue2:I got two norlett powaspades they are great if anyone has parts or broken ones I would love to buy them and any fittings just let me know I am looking for thr grass cut they look like hair clips and just lay on ground
thanks fellow allotmenteers
one for all and all for the greater good
thanks
In the good old days you could leave your back open and nobody would steal from you thats cus we had nothing

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 18:15 »
Sorry bluedog, no buying nor selling is allowed on these forums. Why not visit the welcome board and introduce yourself? :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Delbouy

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 23:51 »
Hi.
I live in Kent. I worked a nice sized allotment owned by my recently deceased mother. Alas it will be sold with her property. I have a Norlett Beaver Powerspade rotavator which i believe sheared its drive shaft a couple of years ago and hasnt been used. I noticed a lot of feeds a little while ago relating to this machine. I was wondering if there would be any interest in this machine for refurbishment or spares and what value it may have ?

Delbouy

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 16:01 »
Here is some of the history presented:
t62861c3Q7g
Albert

Gerry Norris

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 06:44 »
Have you still got the gearbox etc for a beaver power spade?
                               Thanks
                                      Gerry ;)

xx

Started by Darren4300 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 08:01
by Darren4300
xx
beaver power spade

Started by nippa on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2016, 12:48
by grendel
xx
Norlett Power spade

Started by Gerry Norris on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 09:09
by Kevin67
xx
Norlett Beaver Powerspade rotavator

Started by Delbouy on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 00:07
by Delbouy

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.