Advice re new kitten

• 11 Replies

chuckmad

Advice re new kitten
« on: June 11, 2010, 22:15 »
Hey guys,
i want to get a kitten, but I want it to be an outdoor cat and not a house cat. How do i go about this? ??? :unsure:
Any advice will be very much appreciated!

Paul Plots

Re: Advice re new kitten
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 00:54 »
Keep the doors closed!  :lol:

What makes you want a pet that isn't allowed in the house?  ???
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

gillie

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:46 »
Discuss it with your local cat rescue organisation.

A cat that is not allowed indoors will probably not be very tame.

Gillie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:22 »
yep cat rescue places will be bursting at the seems with feral and semi feral cats although you will need to catch them annually (wear long thick sleeves and gloves for protection  :ohmy:) to get their vaccinations.
Staffies are softer than you think.

chuckmad

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 16:28 »
I want a cat to keep away mice/rats but I dont want a house pet

madcat

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 16:41 »
Make sure you get a feral/semi feral then that is used to keeping its own company, but healthily vaccinated and neutered to prevent unwanted kittens & spraying.  A cat that has been used to being a house cat or pet, even a barn cat, would be very distressed to be rejected by people.   You will need to feed and water, as a cat will hunt on its territory better if it isn't starving and is less likely to wander off looking for easier living. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 16:46 »
If you do not want a pet get some traps , set properly they do not kill other wildlife like a semi tame cat would .
Also they would not p*** the neighbours off and would be a much cheaper .

No vets bills with traps. :)

mobilekat

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 21:16 »
Unless you get a 'feral ' older kitten, its a bit unfair to get one who has lived in a house and then boot it out.

Sounds like a feral teenager/adult would do the mousing the best, but it will also do the wild birds too, (some feral cats see swallows nests as like a kebab shop!) and some that are quite wild will also take a shot at chickens, and especially chicks too (unless mum is switched on)

Cats are also well known for not playing along with the games of humans, you may take on a feral cat, but if you don't want a house pet you will get one (first law of cats- do what you want not what the humans says!) ::)

As 8doubles says a few well placed traps may well be the better answer!
And traps don't cost money to feed (as few outdoor cats are good enough mousers to not need food too), or generate vets bills!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 21:47 »
we wanted a cat that would keep mice away. But we didnt want a house cat. We got our kitten in the winter so had to keep him inside for a bit. Also wanted to get him nuetured before we put him outside. We kept him upstairs while he was inside because he didnt get on with the dog. Then when he was about 6 months old we moved him to the garage. He is still tame and really friendly pops in the house now and again for a nose when the doors open. Hes an excellent mouse catcher and isnt feral. Sorry if its a bit long winded just thought you would appreciate some advice from someone thats experienced the same thing. Hope this helps
1 dog -Chloe 1 cat - Oscar 2 hamsters - Flo and Tinkerbell 3 ferrets - Charlie, chip and rupert 3 light sussex - Madge, Henrietta and lucy-lou 2 black rocks - Peggy and Betty 1 puppy on the way i'm not mad i'm in love. :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 22:19 »
Mobilekat - I like your advice  ;)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 23:35 »
Your local Cats Protection will have ferals in need of new outdoor homes. I have two semi-ferals, but be warned that they may decide to become tame as one of mine has done! CP will have them neutered before you get a cat from them, but you will need to make a donation of about £30. If you get a feral often they like to live as a pair so this is something to think about. Whereabouts in the UK are you chuckmad?

chuckmad

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 12:24 »
I'm not in the UK, I'm in Ireland but I think the ISPCA works along the same lines.
Thanks for the advice

xx
kitten advice

Started by massa on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 18:11
by Snap Dragon
xx
Feisty Kitten Milly and bigger kitten Miki (photos with luck)

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 22:46
by freebirdy
xx
Suckling kitten

Started by maxyboo on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 13:00
by Oliveview
xx
Burmese kitten

Started by Angus on Pets without Feathers

35 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 23:35
by raeburg

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.