Advice about dried figs

• 5 Replies

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
Advice about dried figs
« on: August 15, 2020, 08:58 »
Hi,
I have a new allotment that has an established fig tree so followed advice on drying by putting in the airing cupboard for few days, turning daily. Seems to have worked but some blemishes on the skin which im not sure if mould. Any thoughts? I was going to freeze them as more than i need at the moment or any ideas on how to store, freeze. Trying to avoid sugar so jams not preferred method  :)
Also trying in cotton bag in the greenhouse but only been in a couple of days.
IMG_20200815_081502_kindlephoto-1436005.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice about dried figs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 11:50 »
It does look like mould starting. Figs are pretty thick fruits to dry.  I have a dehydrator and would slice them before drying them in that.

I’ve not tried freezing them.  They may fare better texture wise if frozen as a purée or ice-cream/sorbet.  Or how about looking for a recipe to infuse alcohol ?

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 14:38 »
Thanks New shoot.
 I did forget about cutting them. Fortunately I have some more to try and  Ive found a couple of cake recipes that I think I could then freeze. On a bit of a health kick at the moment so alcohol in moderation too  :( Cake frozen in slices to avoid over indulging.
Wondered about a dehydrator but not sure about cost. One of the suggestions for drying figs in the oven which needed over 24hrs is a dehydrator the same?

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 20:19 »
A dehydrator has an accurate low-temperature thermostat, a heater and a fan. The cheapest sort are the circular stack ones where you have to rotate the stacks frequently so that the hottest one doesn't stay in the same place. More expensive models are usually boxes with slide out shelves.

There are plenty of good books on making and using dried foods and a typical "Dried Figs" recipe might look like this...

For whole figs, wash, blanch in boiling water for 30s to check the skins, drain, pat dry and dehydrate whole at 120F/50C for 36-48h. For Halved figs, wash, pat dry and spread on trays at 120F/50C for 12-24h.

If you do put them in a warm 50C oven remember to label the oven door clearly otherwise you will forget and end up preheating it for something else and end up with figgy charcoal briquettes.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 21:13 »
High sugar content means slow to dry, so they will take ages either way.  I don't know if you will get anything better than you can buy, as I have not tried them.  That is my test for 'is it worth the bother'.  Plums halved and dehydrated were no better than good quality bought prunes.  Home dehydrated banana slices and pineapple were sensational, so it is hard to predict. 

What about the frozen puree idea.  You could make some pretty good desserts which were also healthy - mixed into yogurt, or made into frozen yogurt, or used as a sauce over fresh fruit ...

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 22:44 »
Hi,
Thanks both think will go with the puree suggestion.Not sure i would make good use of a dehydrator. My orininal thought was for herbs but have the option of freezing most of the ones i use.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend  :)

xx
Figs

Started by Flowertot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2015, 11:17
by 8doubles
xx
Figs

Started by PeterP on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 23:20
by Alastair-I
xx
Figs - any suggestions as to what to do with them?

Started by Oliveview on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2008, 19:56
by Raycrete
xx
Unripe figs

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 10:19
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 40 queries.