Newbie with a potato question ?

• 5 Replies

Moto Slug

Newbie with a potato question ?
« on: March 21, 2010, 21:03 »
Hi all,
 This will probably be a silly question to ask those of you who are keen gardeners, but not having grown anything but weeds before I need help (so say a lot of people)

Here goes,  I want to grow some potatoes this year, and as we have some potatoes leftover that  I bought from the veg shop for our Sundays roasts, my question is, can I plant these instead of buying seed potatoes.

Sorry if its a silly question, but I dont know the answer myself.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 21:04 by Ice »

Mark-S

Re: Newbie with a potatoe question ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 21:05 »
They MAY grow ok - its depends if they have been treated with a sprout suppressant.....however seed potatoes are grown in  virus free environments. normal ware potatoes are not so its a gamble i wouldn't take.
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

Trillium

Re: Newbie with a potato question ?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 21:07 »
Not silly at all. You could plant any sprouting potatoes from the shop, but the UK has a lot of trouble with blight in potatoes and tomatoes, so most people prefer to use certified seed potatoes (small ones specially bred for planting) that are free of the diseases. That said, blight can blow in on the wind and rain, so even seed potatoes are no guarantee you wouldn't possibly have these problems. Personally, I'd give it a go and see how you do.

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 21:09 »
my father in law grows spuds from the shop every year , but when you can buy a pack of 5 or even 8 for as little as a £1 why bother the risk
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Mark-S

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 21:29 »
Not silly at all. You could plant any sprouting potatoes from the shop, but the UK has a lot of trouble with blight in potatoes and tomatoes, so most people prefer to use certified seed potatoes (small ones specially bred for planting) that are free of the diseases. That said, blight can blow in on the wind and rain, so even seed potatoes are no guarantee you wouldn't possibly have these problems. Personally, I'd give it a go and see how you do.

Sorry Trillium but seed potatoes are not grown to prevent blight, its the virus diseases that are controlled. 

Without being too technical blight is controlled by good soil hygiene, removing the green bridge, fungicides - and the luck of god!!!  Blight becomes prevalent after weather conditions such as a Smith Period.

Virus are spread by the soil or by aphids - seed potatoes are traditionally gown in areas too remote or exposed for aphids to live in high numbers, or in areas where insecticides are used to control the aphids.

Other soil borne pests and diseases such as Brown Rot, Potato Cyst nematode, Dickeya, or other conditions are controlled by Seed certification.

In short - ALWAYS use certified seed.

Moto Slug

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 20:38 »
Thank you all very much for your help, its seed potatoes for me now.

Thanks again,

Moto Slug

xx
newbie potato question.

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 21:46
by 3759allen
xx
Newbie potato question

Started by richie3846 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 20:58
by richie3846
xx
Potato newbie

Started by MrsLev on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 22:34
by gobs
xx
newbie potato help

Started by audreym on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 08:29
by audreym

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 28 queries.