Calabrese and onions

• 4 Replies

Brad26

Calabrese and onions
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:03 »
Hi there all, I've got two questions for those in the know, Firstly i've had my calabreece growing nicely in the patch for a few months now and they're all developing nice little heads but the week i noticed that one had a head that seemed to be quite loose and then yesterday i noticed it had produced small little yello flowers. This is only my second year of growing and this is the first time i've tried calabreece so i'm not sure if this is good or not but i suspect its not any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, my onions are also growing nicely but i've notice a small tight cone shape developing at the top of the shoots....Does this mean its going to seed and yet again what do i do about this. Many thanks in advance for any answers.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 18:36 by Ice »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Calabreece and onions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:30 »
First off, with all Brassicas that produce a head etc, make sure the ground is well trodden on so it is a hard as can be, they dont like rocking around and causes them to bolt/ blow. Onions are going to seed, bolting. I think its just the way the weather has been, a few of mine have gone, if you nip the seed head you may stil be able to use the bulb.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 13:41 »
if the flowers are opening then you should have eaten the head just before they did. Sounds like they are flowering early (bolting)...all you can do is if you see the buds forming is eat them before the floers open.........they won't do anything else :(

What variety are they, and when should you be harvesting, as some are early heading :)

Brad26

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 14:06 »
They are Mr Fothergills autumn green calabreece, and they are to be sowed mar to may and harvested from sep......i've followed the instructions exactly so to say i'm not best pleased is an understatment when i think of all the time and effort that has one into them.

Christine

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 18:33 »
Calabrese has a mind of its own - it's been dry and warm so that's probably what set it off. Or that's the lore that comes off our allotment site.

xx
calabrese

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 16:39
by shaun
xx
calabrese

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2021, 16:13
by John
xx
calabrese

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2019, 12:45
by I Love Spuds
xx
Calabrese

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 21:39
by gobs

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 34 queries.