newbie potato help

• 9 Replies

audreym

newbie potato help
« on: May 04, 2009, 18:59 »
I am new to allotmenting, and my dad gave me some potatoes a few months ago - a selection of earlies, 2nd earlies, maincrops and lates.

However I've been occupied with digging out endless couch grass, and more recently mare's tail.

But today I got sick of the endless weeding and decided to plant the potatoes. It seems though that I didn't store them correctly and they all had long white pale shoots coming off them rather than little chits.

I decided to discard the earlies and planted the 2nd earlies and maincrops as they were, without removing the white shoots (except for on the pink fir appes which I did snap them off).

I realised that I'm already late in planting these but I thought I should give it a go, although, now though I'm worried that I should have snapped of the white shoots too.

Do you think anything will grow, or have I completely messed up my chances of getting any potatoes this year?

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Re: newbie potato help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 19:26 »
Hello and welcome Audreym,

Didn't want your post to go unanswered. I'm not sure whether you should have removed the white shoots or not, but i would be very surprised if you've messed them up completly.

My guess is that you'll crop from all of them regardless.  I still have shoots coming up in last year potatoe bed, from ones that got left behind. 

Someone will be along in a while to advise you properly.
Liv.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 19:29 »
As long as the spuds werent squidgy then Im sure you'll have a crop from them, they dont have to chit at all, it just makes them go faster. Now youve planted them later youve probably missed the frost, so thats a plus. Dont worrytoo much, Im sure theyll be fine

And welcome!!  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

audreym

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 19:42 »
phew - thanks :)

i figured better to plant them and give it a go than do nothing at all!

I'm now also worried about my courgettes (2) and butternut squash that I planted out today... it's a bit nerve-wracking all this allotmenting-stuff! i'll be disappointed if after all this weeding I get no veggies at all...

still, i'll persevere :) tomorrow is all about tackling the marestail in the greenhouse, planting the beetroot in the ground and the sweetcorn in the greenhouse.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 20:42 »
[quote author=audreym

I'm now also worried about my courgettes (2) and butternut squash that I planted out today... it's a bit nerve-wracking all this allotmenting-stuff! i'll be disappointed if after all this weeding I get no veggies at all...
[/quote]

I Hope you have some fleece handy just in case we have more frost ???

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 20:55 »
its all about persevering audrey - learning by your mistakes (many personally!) and your successess,
Its also a whole lotta fun  :D

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 22:42 »
Quote from: audreym
i'll be disappointed if after all this weeding I get no veggies at all...

I Hope you have some fleece handy just in case we have more frost ???

Or more seeds ;)

It's only the start of May huh? There's a whole summer ( hopefully not damp ) to go ;)

¥

Vienna Phil

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:46 »
Hey Audrey,

I started last year in my tiny plot in Vienna. I have enlarged it this year. My results last year were very mixed: Great beans, toms and courgettes (got sick of them all actually) no success at all with cucumbers and radishes (although my wife ate the leaves. She's Turkish. They eat radish leaves and not the fruit. Weird if you ask me). Some success with red peppers. Most disappointing of all, with me being of Irish origin, was my complete lack of success with potatoes. My wife, who says that in the seven years she has been with me, she has eaten more potatoes than in her previous 35 years, found this hilariously funny. I did not.

As someone above posted, you will learn as you go on. Keep reading and researching. This website is the most useful resource around.

Best regards and good luck from Vienna.

Phil
"What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes,
he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow."
A.A. Milne

Vienna Phil

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 01:50 »
Dear Audrey,

Forgot to mention, despite the failures, getting into gardening is one of the best things I have ever done. I will never forget cooking and eating my first home grown produce, courgettes and toms with fresh basil, all my own work.........I really felt I had never tasted courgettes before,,,,,

Best

Phil

audreym

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 08:29 »
thanks everyone :)

fingers crossed something works this year!

xx
Potato newbie

Started by MrsLev on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 22:34
by gobs
xx
A potato questions from a newbie!

Started by phillisa on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2006, 11:59
by phillisa
xx
Newbie Potato Grumble...

Started by rwhittington on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 19:46
by rwhittington
xx
Newbie potato question

Started by richie3846 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 20:58
by richie3846

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 30 queries.