Shy Chicken

• 11 Replies

ktc

Shy Chicken
« on: March 11, 2011, 19:11 »
Hi

our four chickens arrived with us last week and three have settled in really well.  The fourth, younger than the others, is getting chased a fair bit so she seems to prefer to stay in the house.  I'm a bit worried that she won't be eating and drinking enough - any suggestions?
Karen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Shy Chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 20:16 »
you will always have one chicken at the bottom of the pecking order. To make sure she gets a chance to get food and water put several feeders and drinkers out and have lots of hiding places for her, some people put large plant pots on their sides so they can take refuge there.
Things will settle down over time  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ktc

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:15 »
Thanks Joyfull

Flower pots and extra feeder in place.  She's outside with the others at the moment so hopefully she'll settle in OK.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:33 »
just be armed with purple spray to disguise any redness should the others get a bit over boisterous  :)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:37 »
Make a pet of her, my lowest ranking hen got the usual bullying but soon sussed that the safest place to be when i was sitting in the garden was on my shoulder. :)

ktc

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 18:10 »
Thanks for all the advice.  Bullying seems to have slowed down and haven't needed to use the purple spray.  But she's spending almost all day inside the coop.  I wondered whether it would be a good idea to take her out and shut it up as I'm not sure how much she's eating and drinking.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 21:45 »
Thanks for all the advice.  Bullying seems to have slowed down and haven't needed to use the purple spray.  But she's spending almost all day inside the coop.  I wondered whether it would be a good idea to take her out and shut it up as I'm not sure how much she's eating and drinking.

You could try putting a little pot of food and bottle water drinker in there for her just in case - the last thing you want is her getting weak.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 08:30 »
If you can, try to have at least 4 feeding and watering stations.  It sounds excessive, but if the others are chasing her, they can't guard more stations than they are in numbers, which enables the bottom hen to have something to eat and drink.

If you notice on particular bully, try removing her (always remove the bully, not the bullied) and this will upset the pecking oder, and hopefully the bottom hen will come out as not bottom hen.  then you can reintroduce the bully; as her status in the pecking order will have been changed it should help to stop they bullying.  However in some cases, it has been noted, that if the hen is very dominant, then she may fight her way to the top of the pecking order again, but most of the time it doesn't happen.

helens-hens

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 13:48 »
Another v.good idea was posted in another thread I read today by muntjac, who suggested placing some conifer branches in the run which can be used as hiding places but with the advantage that the hen can't then get trapped.

Also I imagine these would make the run more interesting for the hens.
Helen

ktc

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 17:46 »
Many thanks to everyone for their good advice.  Sadly, Shy chicken (alias Dolly) hasn't made it despite seeming more adventurous and coming outside more over the last few days.  I've spoken to the lady who sold us the girls and she was very reassuring saying that this can happen and it's unlikely to be anything we've done as the other three are thriving.  Feeling pretty sad but one of the others has cheered me up by laying her first egg.

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 17:57 »
Hens can be fine one moment and suddenly die, for no obvious reason.  Sorry Shy one didn't make it. 
Pamela

bantam novice

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 21:04 »
So sorry to hear about Shy one, KTC.  :(
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken run

Started by stoko on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 18, 2009, 21:16
by SnooziSuzi
xx
ill chicken

Started by wells101 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 22:11
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Help, which is the right chicken?

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 18:05
by smiler43

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 40 queries.