what do you grow in your greenhouse?

• 20 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
Re: what do you grow in your greenhouse?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 11:04 »
Lots of you say cucumbers but mumofstig says that they die at every possible opportunity  :unsure:
I am limited in space so I want to grow things that are likely to be successful.

I agree cucumbers can be a challenge, and I would not go as far as to say that mine give abundant crops.... but if you sow a few seeds, and have some back up sowings for those that don't seem to want to grow, you can have some success.

ANd for me, cucumbers are one of those plants that is astuondingly different when home grown. The insipid, long, straight, smooth cucumbers you get in shops aren't a patch on the wonderful, thick skinned, spiny varieties I have grown myself.... just a shame I only get 3 or 4 a plant...

Grubbypaws

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 15:35 »
Lazza, can you recommend a variety of cucumber please, you have persuaded me to give them a try (I have looked on the RHS site and there are quite a few). Anything that tastes different when home grown warrants growing or at least trying  :D

And those of you growing melons, which type do you recommend ?

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 10:43 »
I'll admit, I haven't really kept a good list of the varieties I have grown, until last year... so I'm not exactly sure.   :unsure:

This year's are Marketmore, and the same last year...but TBH not absolutely certain before that, although I think probably the same variety. I also have to admit, I buy the plants from a local nursery and have not grown from seed myself... :blush:

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 20:56 »
I have grown padron peppers this year - they are the peppers that they flash fry and sprinkle with salt in Spain for tapas. They have grown really well and we have a great harvest; you can't buy them in the shops here so i would vote for them. You can't grow them without a greenhouse

With your remaining space I would grow Beth Alpha cucumbers (yum yum), these are mini cucumbers that you eat in a few bites, very delicious and again only available to you if you grow them yourself.

My third choice would be a cherry plum tomato
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 20:58 »
Some people seem to have no trouble growing cucumbers either inside or out but I must admit I'm not one of them.

I am ! I had no idea until I joined here that people have such problems with them  :unsure: I'm afraid I grow them all from seed as well ! This year I have gherkins, beth alpha and telegraph all doing pretty well. I don't have a tip I'm afraid, I have green fingers and usually most things succeed for me, however badly I garden !
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 21:01 by fibilou »

stompy

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 08:00 »
If i were to grow one thing in a greenhouse it would be Tomatoes.

They are far far far far (you get the idea) better tasteing than the shop bought ones and the skin is soooo thin you hardly notice it's there.

I find that per planting space they give by far the best volume of crop, price wise and volume wise, and we are still picking into November most years ( the plant has just about had it by then but the fruit keep ripening on the dieing stem).

Then with all the surplus we make them into sauces to for winter use.

Also cucumbers (Marketmore) and chillies (Jalapeno) no mellons (Sweetheart) no chillies, no melllons, no chillies. Arghhhh.  :lol:

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.