What is nibbling my courgette leaves?

• 7 Replies

Benandbill

What is nibbling my courgette leaves?
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:49 »
I've got about 7 plants that have come up beautifully in my plastic greenhouse with 2 leaves of about an inch and a half each in size yet two of them are having one of their leaves attacked by something - one to the point it's vanished.  I say nibbling, however they start to look a bit more shrivelled than anything so I don't know if it's an insect or some sort of disease?  Has anyone else experienced anything like this, and if so, can anyone provide any advice?  If it's slugs they must be invisible ones  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What is nibbling my courgette leaves?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:52 »
Were they too cold, and didn't like it? Or too hot and shrivelled up?

Benandbill

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:15 »
Now there's a question?  I don't know but the greenhouse steams up pretty quick when it's zipped shut so maybe too hot.  Then again, it's not exactly an Indian summer is it and once or twice I've left it open carelessly overnight..  who knows?  I don't see slugs getting to the top shelf of my placcy greenhouse so I think I can rule that out!

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:33 »
Now there's a question?  I don't know but the greenhouse steams up pretty quick when it's zipped shut so maybe too hot.  Then again, it's not exactly an Indian summer is it and once or twice I've left it open carelessly overnight..  who knows?  I don't see slugs getting to the top shelf of my placcy greenhouse so I think I can rule that out!

Yes,it may be getting too hot,mine does and my courgettes wilted.I wouldn't put anything passed  snails and slugs.Last year a snail climbed up to my top shelf and wiped out everything that was up there overnight! :mad: They hide under your trays ,little beggars!!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:40 »
I was amazed to find a couple of snails on the 4th floor of mine havin' a go at my sunflower seedlings!   ???

Benandbill

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 23:18 »
Sounds like it might be the slugs after all then.  Should I put salt around the stem?

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 07:14 »
Sounds like it might be the slugs after all then.  Should I put salt around the stem?

Not sure salt is the way to go .... I've used pellets, if your against that then I just read on my can of wd40 that you can spray (with care) around the pot base and they cant climb up! or they dont like the smell of coffee grounds so you can sprinkle that around.

However, I left my gh window open overnight and a snail has climbed in through the window and down the window ... I think if i hadnt of came in it would of climbed onto my plants from above!! 
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Stree

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 13:07 »
Salt will kill most plants.
Sounds like the atmosphere is far too humid, not good for the plant but excellent for slugs and snails.....Check under the pots and under all the leaves...... put some crushed eggshells round the stems, these will not harm the plant or soil and slugs will find them very uncomfortable to cross.
And try to lower the humidity.

xx
Courgette leaves

Started by GaryPaula on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 09:12
by stompy
xx
courgette leaves

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 21:26
by mollyblob
xx
My courgette leaves are white.

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 14:37
by Springlands
xx
spotty courgette leaves

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 22:11
by rookie1

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 30 queries.