Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

• 17 Replies

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
In reply to Lindeggs regarding natural remedy's/supplements.

I was told that chickens if they have the plants/resources available are very good at self diagnosis and medication, ie they knew when to eat the right herb/plant at the right time.

Chickens have survived and prospered for a long time without the need of humans pumping them with chemicals and i think we sometimes need to take a step back and let mother nature get on with what she is good at.

Sounds great, but due to fox attack they are currently confined to a smaller area with less access to all the plants they would need. Plus they are both completely stupid, and despite me knowing that they should know that they shouldn't eat the potato plants, you can guess where they make a bee line for, even sitting on the netting to crush their way into the potato beds.

Bless them  ::)
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member

Kenliworth, that describes my general philosophy very well, and when I first got the chickens I fully intended to let Mother Nature take charge.  However I think there are also times to acknowledge that (for whatever reason) things have become imbalanced and human intervention is required.

In my case, I 'imported' the chickens from a breeder in another part of the country so perhaps they hadn't had the chance to build up resistance to my local parasites.  Or perhaps the stress of a long car journey in mid-summer meant their immune systems were compromised.  Or perhaps the unusually high density of wild birds at my place meant there are more intestinal worms lurking, ready to be ingested.

Whatever the reason, I decided that I would intervene with a chemical wormer rather than let Mother Nature (and natural selection) take their course.  That's a choice every chicken-keeper needs to make depending on their circumstances, and with as much informationas possible at their disposal.
[/quote]

Agree totaly.............due to the somewhat unatural way we keep chickens  for example cooping them up in a woodern box at night,  lack of unlimited freeranging space etc. we need to give a helping hand if only to combat the conditions we have enforced on them. The real trick  is to find a balance that is right for you and of course the chickens.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member

Sounds great, but due to fox attack they are currently confined to a smaller area with less access to all the plants they would need. Plus they are both completely stupid, and despite me knowing that they should know that they shouldn't eat the potato plants, you can guess where they make a bee line for, even sitting on the netting to crush their way into the potato beds.

Bless them  ::)
[/quote]

Thats chickens for you.  :lol: ::)

Like they always say the theory is easy, its tranferring it to the real world that gives the grief ;)

Everyones circumstance are different, every chicken is different, IMHO the only thing you can do is pick out the advice that you think suits your circumstances best and run with it, if it doesnt work then try something else. Its all part of the fun :) 8)

xx
poultry spice tonic

Started by drpepper on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 09:11
by Sassy
xx
Poultry spice feed/spice ratio

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 10:00
by hillfooter
xx
poultry tonic preferences

Started by happy chick on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 03, 2008, 18:29
by Foxy
xx
Poultry Spice

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 00:08
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 38 queries.