run size

• 6 Replies

nic n dave

run size
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:34 »
hi everyone, my run size at a guess is about 10 maybe 11ft long by about 6ft wide and 8/9ft high, i only have the 3 hens in there, would it be sufficient for more hens or would it need extending - only extending is out of the question for me, they are hardly in the run as they free range in my garden and i only locked them in the run when im out or worming. how many hens could i keep in there?

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: run size
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 13:04 »
You have around 10m of run space, that should be big enough (bare minimum) for 5 hens.

Some may say you can get away with more if you let them out allot, but if they are to be confined in the run for any length of time, i wouldnt put more then 4 or 5 in it...

(2mSq run space is considered minimum per bird)

Cheers

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 17:52 »
If you can't extend, why not increase the available area by building an upstairs? I increased my floor area by 50% by cannibalising some pallets that I got off a skip. Easy enough project for a female "non-technically minded but game for having a go" 60 something!! I used the thick bits as legs, and took the underneath plank bits off to fill in the big gaps on the top.

I can't saw straight or bang in a nail properly, but what the heck! It's pretty sturdy, stands about 18" high - and the chooks love it, going up the ramp and jumping off and getting lots of exercise! And it keeps the water and food from getting full of dirt when they do their scratching.
Just a thought.
BG

kegs

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 17:57 »
If you can't extend, why not increase the available area by building an upstairs? I increased my floor area by 50% by cannibalising some pallets that I got off a skip. Easy enough project for a female "non-technically minded but game for having a go" 60 something!! I used the thick bits as legs, and took the underneath plank bits off to fill in the big gaps on the top.

I can't saw straight or bang in a nail properly, but what the heck! It's pretty sturdy, stands about 18" high - and the chooks love it, going up the ramp and jumping off and getting lots of exercise! And it keeps the water and food from getting full of dirt when they do their scratching.
Just a thought.
BG

Have you posted a photo anywhere of their climbing frame??

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 18:57 »
I was going to say 1/2 dozen hen's to that seized coop. Go on get some more lol
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 19:00 »
having too many in a small run will lead to bullying and boredom problems. For just short periods then yes do have another level with loads to keep them occupied and also remember the extra feeders and drinkers.

modified because of my very poor spelling
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 19:45 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 19:32 »
I  agree with joyfull. I have four Warrens in a run 24' x 6' and it seems just about right. The hen at the bottom of the pecking order has plenty of room to stay away from the one at the top. Put anymore in there and it starts to become a problem.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
Size of new run?

Started by ReaderRabbit on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 00:00
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Run size help

Started by little sweetpeas on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 18:39
by poultrygeist
clip
egg size

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 12:12
by hen addict

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 29 queries.