brambles

• 11 Replies

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
brambles
« on: June 30, 2010, 00:42 »
How do I get rid of the brambles popping up all over the place without digging them all up? any ideas
I came I saw I grew my own veg

paintedlady

Re: brambles
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 04:46 »
glyphosate based weedkiller works very well on brambles but you may need to double the concentration and do several treatments but they will eventually succumb - I get rogue brambles at the back of my half plot where it is too awkward to dig up so the weedkiller treatment has been quite effective  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mobilekat

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:11 »
Cut, poison, cut, dig, poison swear, and then poison any more that come up.....

With a side order of tripping over the odd root too!

Well thats what I am doing with mine this year, and they don't seem to like it!

Good luck
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:25 »
ha ha mobilekat forgot about the tripping I have nearly gone a**e over *i* on many occasions. Weedkiller it is then

bigben

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:47 »
I would dig up all you can to save you problems later on.  If you cannot get to them to dig - some of mine are coming up thru a greenhouse foundation - then do the glyphosphate treatment. Some of mine were real monsters and would have kept sending up new growth even if the first little shoots were poisoned. I found a chillington type hoe worked a treat for popping the roots out.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 11:32 »
I would dig up all you can to save you problems later on.

Have to agree - bramble roots aren't too much of a bother to get out, but if you lose control you'll have a lot of difficult growth to deal with.  I cut them down to 1ft off the floor normally with loppers, and then use a mattock to get the root out.  On my light sandy soil must will pull up with a bit of a tug  :D

Dominic

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 12:40 »
Mine were pretty montrous, till I hedgetrimmed and lawn mowered them.
They exist in the odd area thats hard to get to, and I weed killer them every once in a while, but for the most part, that dealt with them.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 12:45 »
keep digging them out, eventually they give in. I let the ones on my border grow - they get trained along the boundary to keep unwanted tresspassers off (and to give me a crop of berries in the autumn  :))
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 19:27 »
Having 'cleared' the brambles from my back garden, I still get the odd rogue appearing.
The border is fully planted so I cut the bottom off a 3ltr pop bottle and put it over the bramble like a cloche then I put the nozzle of (glyphposate based) weedkiller spray into the neck of the bottle and soak the bramble leaves with spray.
I leave the cloche in place until the leaves start to wither (and the weedkiller has dried...so it doesn't drip off the plastic...learn't the hard way!).

mobilekat

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 21:29 »
Have the fun of brambles in very odd places- due to my previous job my garden went fallow for about 4 years, so bindweed and brambles took hold.  :(
Spent last year attacking things with glyphosphate on the odd weekend that we could get home!

so now have brambles and bind weed popping up in the middle of other plants, and my bamboo lawn (grass was rubbish so have minature bamboo and mint covering the 8 foot by 7ft excuse for a lawn, with a plum tree in the middle!

so am digging what I can, and poisoning the rest! and swearing a bit too!- Big bamboo tends to attack you when you are creeping into it to try to paint the bindweed!

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 00:10 »
good idea missycat but I would have to have one hell of a supply of bottles at the moment  :mad:

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 19:45 »
 :D :D :D

In that case, cut back a bit...glyphosate...dig...glyphosate...glyphosate...is my best suggestion!

GOOD LUCK

xx
brambles

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 15:35
by sunshineband
xx
Brambles!!!!!

Started by leinad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 11:40
by woodburner
xx
getting rid of brambles

Started by jjlittle on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 21:07
by jjlittle
xx
brambles

Started by lochnesslass on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 10:10
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 34 queries.