Time to pull up Garlic??

• 2 Replies

Twood

• Experienced Member
Time to pull up Garlic??
« on: July 21, 2019, 16:37 »
Hi
Ive grown garlic for the first time this year Hardneck Wight Lautrec. Looks like the flower heads are beginning to form albeit a bit droopy and some of the leaves are yellowing. A few look like they have little rust.
When do I pull them out?  They went in on 9th Feb.

Also I hadn't realised that hardneck don't store as well. I planted these as I read that the hardback do better in the less warmer climate (North of Watford) and that is why I chose them. Does anyone have any experience of growing the soft neck. I'm about to order more garlic and would consider a different option if anyone has a good experience up here in the north with the soft neck variety
Thanks
Two
Happy Gardening May your plot be abundant in veg and free from slugs ! :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Time to pull up Garlic??
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 17:11 »
The flower heads (or scapes) are normally cut off shortly after they first appear, partly because they use up some of the resources the plant could otherwise put into forming the bulb, and partly because they make a good stir-fry addition when young (yours are probably a bit tough now.)

I usually reckon a couple more weeks after the scapes appear - don't leave them until the leaves die back completely (as you would with onions or shallots) as there is a risk the bulbs will start to resprout.

As for keeping qualities, it is said that hardnecks don't keep as long as softnecks, but mine keep in good condition right through winter into next spring, when some of them get replanted.

Don't ask me the variety - I've been growing the same ones for six or seven years, and they were originally supermarket bulbs given to me by a neighbour (which makes me a very naughty orangutan indeed!  :ohmy:  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nobbie

Re: Time to pull up Garlic??
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 21:50 »
I pulled up my garlic last week as it has succumbed to rust and When I've left it in longer in previous years it the outer skins have started to rot in wet weather. All drying nicely in the shed now. I grow both types and don't notice any difference in Cheshire.

xx
Time to pull unproductive squash?

Started by Ethel on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2019, 18:24
by Ethel
xx
Is my Garlic ready to pull or do i have White Rot?

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 06:06
by DD.
xx
Plot neighbour advising me to pull my garlic?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 23:53
by Salmo
xx
Rhubarb, to pull or not to pull

Started by donald.cape on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 13:15
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.