Carrots in grow bags in Greenhouse

• 5 Replies

Twood

• Experienced Member
Carrots in grow bags in Greenhouse
« on: February 03, 2019, 15:01 »
HI
Ive recently acquired a greenhouse and until I sort the garden out I'm thinking of trying to start carrots early Nantes in double grow bags and wondered if anyone had any experience of this??
Thanks
Happy Gardening May your plot be abundant in veg and free from slugs ! :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Carrots in grow bags in Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 16:07 »
Never tried carrots myself, but why don't you stand the grow bags on their edge (might need a bit of support) to give them the depth you'll need.

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 17:12 »
Last year I tried Early variety at bottom of plastic 4 tier greenhouse. I used the old pre wheely bins recycle boxes which are about a foot deep and 18 X 12 inches. You can buy similar boxes. I sowed one in Jan and one in Feb. Both matured about the same time. In Mar I took the boxes out of the greenhouse and had a nice supply of early carrots. This year I have an allotment and a proper greenhouse and am doing the same. By using boxes it means that they use greenhouse space (unheated) when it is not needed for other things but can be taken into the real world just as the space is needed for less hardy things that need hardening off.
It is a win win  situation.
This year I plan on putting some lettuce, radishes and spring onions in containers in March/April, they can come out in May in time for the peppers to be planted in the greenhouse.
Will it work? I don't know but if it does I will have salad stuff to use when the weather becomes "salad eating weather" and not take up much needed greenhouse space.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 17:26 »
Great idea

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 17:43 »
Flower buckets are ideal. You can easily grow 30+ carrots in a 10" one. Have a look here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F578AKAo4kc

edit to fix link
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:09 by mumofstig »

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 20:32 »
thanks everyone for your replies. Buckets sound great. I was going to stack 2 grow bags on top of each other for the depth but will definitely look into the alternatives you have all suggested

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 44 queries.