Livestock Market

• 33 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Livestock Market
« on: May 15, 2013, 16:11 »
Never done this in my life but will go to Salisbury on Sat to possibly buy new girls. Will be exciting/scary and really hoping I can remember which are the friendly hens as opposed to flighty as there will be a baffling array to choose from.  Will make some notes and brace myself for falling in love again!!!!!

Any tips?  Anyone likely to be there?
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Livestock Market
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 16:40 »
All the breeders I have spoken to have advised me to stay clear of Markets or Auctions.  I am sure other members have experienced them so I hope they can give you some advice.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 18:21 »
My advice is:

Get there early - Much earlier than the auction starts. This way you get time to look at them in your own time and not be rushed. Take a pen and paper so you can write down the lot numbers you are interested in. You may also have to register beforehand to bid.

Anything that catches your eye, give them a good look over. Its easy to get carried away with the excitement and forget to check something. Dont forget feet and legs maybe hidden in straw.

If someone there starts giving you advice or steering you to particular birds, remember they maybe the ones who are selling them and want to push the price up. I once had a stranger trying to steer me to some birds, telling me how wonderful they were (they wernt, they were in a shocking state) and i wasnt  even buying.

Sometimes the first lots go for a higher price so unless there is something spectacular in the first few lots you may want to wait for something later in the auction.

There are good sellers and not so good sellers.

If its anything like Melton, it will be busy and lots of jostling but also good fun

Take a box or something to transport them home in.

It maybe beneficial to just watch the first time and go back on another date (if you can wait that long)

Have fun and dont go home with an ostrich  :blush:

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 19:12 »
I went to the Salisbury one a few months ago and loved looking around. Did not intend to buy, just look at birds and procedures. I enjoyed the experience, fast paced and interesting and some stunning birds. Not sure I'd be good at auction though and like to consider choices and take my time!

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 19:59 »
Thank you!  I may end up not buying but I'll print out the brochure thingy and make notes.  My dog died last week  :( so I'm in a strange state of limbo as suddenly free to travel etc and taking animals on might not be right for me now.  Loved the ostrich tip!

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 21:10 »
So sorry you lost your dog nerdle.   :( 

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 13:22 »
How exciting Nerdle! If I was a bit closer I would come along as I have never been to one.  Let us know what it is like and how you get on. It'll also be interesting just to see what is for sale.  On the same lines as the ostrich tip, my friend went to buy a budgie and came back with an african grey parrot (I don't think they realised quite how long they live too or how bad tempered they are!)

Sorry to hear about your dog  :(

grinling

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 13:25 »
might be easier buying chicks and raising them and possibly making it easier to handle them.
I would not buy at auction again.
Is it possible to share the hens with a neighbour or friend to help for trips away?
Sorry to hear of your loss though.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 22:29 »
Thank you lovely people.  I'm a single girl with no children - she was so precious to me and she was beautiful and perfect in every way.  I'd always dreaded losing her and I think I cried for 5 days solid but happily I feel OK now.  I sniff her smelly dog blanket every day (her shrine)!

Taking a hen sitter neighbour with me.

Ploughing through huge catalogue - phew!  I was warned they aren't vaccinated against respiratory diseases - what questions should I be asking does anyone know? This might just be a window shopping experience after all ....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 22:32 by nerdle »

pepsi100

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 00:10 »
I went to the South Essex auctions, its not very big and its held in a church hall, yes it is a good idea to register to buy

I got there with plenty of time, , I was made very welcome by the organisers

They got through a few of the tatty stuff first, then it was onto hens, ehhg (hens, duck, goose, even some exoctics)

all the birds have to be in a box, with food and water (and thgis is the box you take em home in, very handy)

Never had any pressure to buy anything, but you could ask questions of the sellers (if you could find em)

Thins were pretty relaxed there, no rush with the auctineers (but I think they need to watch bidders a bit more closer)

Hens, both laying and POL were at pretty reasonable prices (I thought)

The exoctic birds went for quite a high price as I would have expected

Eggs were really cheap (a lot cheaper than the online auction website)

I bought 4 hens (which are kind of strange looking and still trying to find their place in the pecking order)

I enjoyed myself there, and even though I really dont need any more birds and doint have anything for sale, I'm going back again in June (just to have a look of course  :) )

I used to enjoy the live stock auctions, but there isnt any left around here

I would recommend to go along the first time, have a look around, see who the buyers are, the sellers (you'll probably find they are all regulars) see how prices go, but be prepared to buy something (there is usually something you really like and cat resist)

If you do bid, set your self an ABSOLUTE limit, its too easy to get carried away with bidding and pay more than a hen is really worth

Dont forget, they usually add 10% to a end of bid price, its quite normal for both sellers and buyers to pay this

Sorry about the loss of your pooch, but I bet you still got lots of photos (I know I have of mine, scruff and that was years ago)

Paul O#grady has some great pooches on his show, it will never replace your dog, but it will still welcome you home with a wagging tail and a wet tongue  ;) and will never ask why you are late home  ;)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 20:43 »
How did you get get on at the Salisbury auction? Were you tempted?

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 21:27 »
Well.............deep breath.............

They said get there early so was there before 7(!) but ideal because the first sellers were unloading their hens and I could chat to them.  I met lots of breeders and took numbers with a view to getting to 8 week chicks directly from them in future. 

So much for that...I fell in love and came home with two pol bantams. The auction was quite a thrill as I'd never done that - I paid about £30 each. A buff laced wyandotte and a gold laced orpington.  Pics soon. They are so beautiful but first thing to find out - not used to being handled!!!  The sellers number was on the card so could chat to them to check for worming etc.

A bit later....can't catch them Grrr!!! Will have to wait until bedtime to give them a squirt of frontline.  Oh dear....! 

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 09:39 »
Try not to stress them too much in the first few days nerdle.  Give them time to settle and get used to you.  I usually sit quietly with a few meal worms on an outstretched hand.  Slow movements are best and they will soon see that you are not a threat.  I would hold off on the frontline if they are fit and healthy looking.  Some DE in their dust bath should be enough unless you really think they have a problem.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new girls.   :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 11:14 »
Thank you anhbuc.

They are refusing to some out of their coop today so food and water in there with them.
I'll just open the door each day and wait for them to come out when they are ready.
Away now until Weds (awful timing) so strict instructions to hensitter.

splash101

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 11:27 »
I'm glad the experience was a positive one.

Looking forward to the photo's 

xx
pets or livestock?

Started by dizzylizzie on Chicken Chat

51 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 22:17
by joyfull
xx
Livestock = deadstock too :(

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 21:10
by hillfooter
xx
Overheard at a Farmers' Market

Started by gillie on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 08:23
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.