turk's turban

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

turk's turban
« on: October 22, 2011, 19:56 »
we where  given a Turk's turban squash a very interesting squash and i admit something i have never bothered to grow it says in my seed catalogue that its a novelty crop  ???

so how do you cook it obviously you eat the flesh has  anyone cooked this squash or  got a recipe for cooking it  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: turk's turban
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 19:58 »
It is quite bland and could do with being spiced up, whether you make soup or roast in wedges.

I'll move this over to the cooking & preserving section  ;)

LilacSandy

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:26 »
Hi Rowland,

I grew this just for the novelty this year and It cropped very well even with the drought conditions we have had this summer.  The skin is very tough which means it should store well but is very hard to cut. 

It roasts well but as MOS says it is very bland but makes a great addition to a veg soup, cut the top off and roast in two halves, leave a good amount of flesh still on the skin and add the rest of the flesh to onion, garlic or whatever you like in a soup. 

If you have children or having a dinner party you can serve the soup in the skin and put the top back on for an unusual and decorative container.

B_and_D

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 21:53 »
We grew this year as well - it's quite a meaty flesh even when roating.  We roasted ours with a dressing of oil, garlic, garam masala, and cumin seed = was delish and went REALLY well with sausages and gravy!

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 12:23 »
It looks brilliant but is not the best in the taste stakes.  Many of them are quite bland though so need hel,p but fortunately they are like sponges and take up flavours really well. They lend themselves to roasting, currying, mashing, cubing into rice dishes and for bulking out any casserole  :)

xx
Turks Turban

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2006, 13:21
by cathbaddeley
xx
Turks Turban Squash

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2006, 20:51
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.