Saving Energy

• 26 Replies

David.

Saving Energy
« on: December 27, 2007, 18:21 »
Quote from: "DD."

This topic was split from the 'Slow Cooker' thread in the cooking forum, this is how it got diverted!

I bought my wife one a short time ago, and started this thread when looking for recipe books:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=9873

But since then we (mainly her) have found quite a few slow cooker recipes/pages/threads on the web and will put links on. No need for books!

A great piece of equipment. Although it's only supposed to use the power of a lightbulb, ours goes on overnight on Economy 7 tariff (tenth of day rate) and we try to use it wherever possible in stead of the oven/hobs for sousing mackerel, stews, casseroles, curries, steamed puddings (incl Christmas pudding this year) and stewing fruit prior to the final stages of making jams/jellies (cuts down risk of burning). And we are learning more all the time.

And it only cost £10! Too many people get one of these 'Eco Cookers' and don't bother using it. My MIL got one from us for Christmas, has just cooked venison in it and is delighted with the results.

WG.

Saving Energy
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 18:25 »
Quote from: "David."
Economy 7 tariff (tenth of day rate)
REALLY!  A tenth!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Saving Energy
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 18:49 »

Are you sure? I know it's probably time to review my supplier again, the one I'm with came out cheapest on Uswitch when I last did it, but my costs are x day units at 13.49p, y discounted day units at 9.65p & z Economy 7 units at 3.86p.

That makes Economy 7 about 1/3 the price of most expensive day units.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

Saving Energy
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 18:50 »
Quote from: "WG."
REALLY!  A tenth!!
Yup, a third is what I used to get too

David.

Saving Energy
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 19:07 »
REALLY!  A tenth!!

Are you sure?

Yes, that's why we get up at 5am and do the cooking, washing, dishwashing, baking, pasteurising, jam making, etc.

????? One of my first Google hits has 1400 recipes!

1400 Crockpot Recipes

Don't forget slow cookers are also known as crockpots.

The trouble is that the recipes are on a U.S. website/in U.S. measurements, and some may be intended for crockpots in an oven so you may also need conversion factors.

The thread my wife found most useful was:

LINK

Which being a UK forum thread (now 56 pages), rather than a list of US recipes, was far more useful.

WG.

Saving Energy
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 19:12 »
REALLY!  A tenth!!

Yes, that's why we get up at 5am and do the cooking, washing, dishwashing, baking, pasteurising, jam making, etc.

Amazing - I'd have kept it on if it was only 1/10th.  Don't you have timer switches down there then (for the first 4 listed).

David.

Saving Energy
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 19:29 »
Just checked my spreadsheet, and it's only about a ninth of day rate.

I installed above worktop timer controlled switches (in lieu switches controlling below worktop sockets), with below worktop spurs for the washing machine & dishwasher (which since early this year will need to be installed by qualified electricians/have building control approval).

I get up early to operate the pasteuriser, and my wife also the oven/hobs.

As we also have electric storage heaters, we try and restrict as much consumption as possible to before 7 am GMT, including making our hot drinks and re-boiling the kettle.

And then we try in every possible way to restrict electricity consumption during the day - which includes using a slow cooker as it only uses the same power as a lightbulb.

WG.

Saving Energy
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 19:39 »
1/9th is still an excellent rate.  When do you install the flywheel / generator set for daytime use?  I'd be seriously tempted to cost out a water tank + heat exchanger for space heating.

We never got better than 1/3rd of the daytime rates and it hardly made it worthwhile.  I think much less than that and they are actually cheaper to pump water uphill overnight & run it through the hydro plant another day.

David.

Saving Energy
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 19:44 »
When do you install the flywheel / generator set for daytime use?.

Don't understand that, I only use my generator when the electric goes out, which in my village is about 6 times a year.

WG.

Saving Energy
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 19:47 »
When do you install the flywheel / generator set for daytime use?.

Don't understand that, I only use my generator when the electric goes out, which in my village is about 6 times a year.
You can use an electric motor to spin up an heavy low-friction flywheel - flip a switch and the motor becomes a generator providing 240V AC from the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel.

WG.

Saving Energy
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 19:48 »
This site gives you the general idea : http://www.energiestro.com/us/us_technology.htm

David.

Saving Energy
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 20:39 »
Will have a look, but could this part of the energy saving aspect be split off (away from slow cookers) to somewhere like frugal living?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Saving Energy
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 21:02 »
Done!

David.

Saving Energy
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 21:20 »
Thanks.

On this subject, I recall a post from some one who appeared to be paying ridiculous electricity costs for heating in their rented flat not long ago, who might benefit from (if possible) changing supplier/tariff or seeking housing/energy advice.

Selkie

Saving Energy
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 21:33 »
That was on a thread I started about home heating bills David, (well remembered!) but I can't remember who's bills were so high...

xx
Energy saving tip

Started by sorrel on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 21:06
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
Energy saving lightbulbs

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 10:49
by Oscar Too
xx
Cheap Energy Saving Bulbs (Lamps!)

Started by DD. on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 16:36
by DD.
xx
free energy saving stuff off eaga

Started by kezlou on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 20:44
by robbobnbill

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.