Do mummys have to be separated?

• 3 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
« on: March 26, 2008, 21:32 »
Hi
This is a question just out of interest really.  I have recently reduced my "flock" from 3 to 2 due to a bullying problem with Mother Hen (she has gone to great home  :D ).   One of my girls is persistently broody, it was my intention to let her hatch some chicks when the weather is warmer etc but that was when there were 3 of them.  She would have been separated and the remaining 2 chooks would have each other for company.
Now there is only 2 I can't separate them - so my question is can a broody raise chicks is the presence of another adult hen.
I have read on another website that it can work as long as the mum is dominant.  Does anyone have any experience of this?
Thanks
Ness

naturesparadise

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 21:52 »
you could build a broody coop like this one from new barn timber products
http://www.newbarntimberproducts.co.uk/images/Broody%20Coop.jpg

link to site
http://www.newbarntimberproducts.co.uk/utility.htm

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 23:03 »
Yes this can work. I've seen this happen a few times on my friends farm....one little chook and 2 mommies!!!! It was quite sweet ;)

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 21:30 »
Thanks for your replies - I was hoping it might be possible! :D   The 2 girls I've got left are sisters and very close so if it's going to work with any chooks it'd be these 2.  Prob won't try it for a bit - got to work on the oh first!
Thank again

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 30 queries.