Corn predators

• 9 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Corn predators
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:26 »
Another quick query guys,

I put in sweetcorn seeds directly into the ground yesterday and I'm hoping they germinate and grow and produce. Are their little shoots likely to be eaten by anything?
Apart from slugs and snails, I've also got red ants and woodlice and a variety of other bugs I've not identified yet. How can I protect them?

Thanks again!
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

David.

Corn predators
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 10:34 »
Rabbits eat the shoots.

Mice eat the cobs.

jacnal

Corn predators
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 10:47 »
Thanks David,

Oh dear. Rabbits? and mice?

Okay, priority now is to protect from rabbits I suppose. Any ideas how to do that?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Corn predators
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 13:16 »
Quote from: "David."
Rabbits eat the shoots.

Mice eat the cobs.

Squirrels eat both - b*ggers.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
Corn predators
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 19:03 »
Noone said gardening was easy - constant battle with little critters and bugs! :o
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Trillium

Corn predators
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 19:11 »
Earwigs will get into the maturing cobs and do a lot of damage, so will maggots. If it's a regular bad problem we pour some mineral oil on the silks once they're pollinated. Seems to deter the little pests- unless they bore through the husk sides.

jacnal

Corn predators
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 20:29 »
Thanks peeps.

My poor corn seem to have too many awaiting their emergence. I suppose I'll have to relax a little, allow nature some, i.e. if some of the plants get destroyed, I shall not be stressed out too much. I planted 33. I guess if I can get 22 out of those I'll be very happy. If I get 16, I'll still be happy. 10, I'll still be happy some. Less than that, I'll be sad for a while and hope for better luck next time, but I'll be happy eating what I get. Zero, I'll have to get a psychiatrist, :o !

I'm comforted by the fact slugs, snails and ants don't eat them - am I right? Or do they?

Note to self - erect fence around plot. Even more work to be done.

WG.

Corn predators
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 20:30 »
Sorry, slugs LOVE sweet corn  :wink:

jacnal

Corn predators
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 12:21 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Sorry, slugs LOVE sweet corn  :wink:

Do they really?  :cry:

On a positive note, I got some ferrous phosphate slug pellets (Growing Success). Planted a few salad leaves and some leafy herbs in pots but dug the pots into the ground (don't know what I'm doing there, but I'm thinking if I'll possibly move them that'll make it easy). Anyway, to my utter shock :shock: a few moments later, the slugs were literally sprinting towards them! A few sprinklings of pellets later, and there were 2 dead!

My poor corn - they'll probably not even get a chance to come through. I've noticed the brown slugs under the soil surface when I dig. Oh, I'm  :( , :( , :( !

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Corn predators
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 14:42 »
I've got a bed of 50 sweetcorn plants, started in the GH, hardened off in the frame, and planted out about three weeks ago - as the blooming slugs have had most of my other emerging veg, I put plastic collars around each plant (made from cut down bottles and plant pots) and put a few pellets in each.  The bed is mulched with manure around them, btw.

So far, so good - apart from a little frost damage, they seem to be coming on well, so fingers crossed!

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
corn

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 08:26
by Ma Lowe
xx
corn on the cob

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 06:45
by green fingers
xx
When to sow corn?

Started by min200 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 14:14
by min200

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 39 queries.