mushroom kits

• 33 Replies

kezlou

mushroom kits
« on: November 10, 2010, 18:27 »
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had tried this mushroom kit by Thopson and Morgan.
It's called  Mushroom - White Cap Button,Agaricus bisporus.

I'm assuming that the back comes with manure, spawn, box etc but it doesn't actally say.
O do you think i would be best off with the kits form b & q?

Thanks for your help! :D

Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Babstreefern

Re: mushroom kits
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 19:57 »
Personally, don't waste your dosh.  I've not met anyone who's been successful.  And that does not only include packs, but the impregnated logs as well.  The best thing to do, is buy them at the greengrocers/supermarket.
Babs

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 20:37 »
Ditto to Btf, unfortunately because we eat lots of mushrooms
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

kezlou

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 21:04 »
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Think i'll give it a miss, we eat lots of mushrooms, so i guess i'll just buy off the local market instead.

Think i'll just use my t & m voucher to buy various tomato and cucumber seeds.  Saw an all female mini cucumber seeds, the type is called  picolino F1 hybrid organic. Looks ideal for pack lunches and apparently produces loads of cumcumbers and bitter free! :D

disasterdave

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 21:41 »
just brought a kit from B & Q few weeks ago and have had plenty of mushrooms from it

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 22:27 »
Do you have any tips for us dave, seems like a lot of people struggle, did you do anything differantly? :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

bigben

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:50 »
I was asked to "babysit" a kit for a neighbour while he was on holiday. I got a dozen button mushrooms from a B&Q kit but when I gave it back to the neighbour and commented how good it was he said I had managed to get most of them as he had few before and few after. He will not be bothering again - someone had bought the kit for him. I wondered if you could "dilute down the kit with a mix of compost and a bit of manure. It might then go further?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:47 »
I tried a kit several years ago and although it "worked" and was an unusual experiment the yield wasn't that great. They were button mushrooms and tasted no different from bought ones (and were a lot more expensive!)

Now if there was a simple, reliable and relatively cheap chanterelle growing kit..............................   :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

hubballi

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 19:04 »
I have just got a kit from Aldi for £3.99. It's worth it as you get 3 yields (so it says)

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 19:10 »
I've just got a kit for growing winecaps from Mushroom box,supposed to be easy to grow outdoors.
I couldn't resist as I love mushrooms. I was going to get the blewitt kit as they're my favourites but they'd run out.
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 19:53 »
If you look on youtube, some of the videos look really simple to grow mushrooms.  1 video I recall, they got some straw, put it in a clear bag, poured boiling hot water in to sterilise it, added the mushroom spores, shook the bag, sealed the bag.  That was all it took.  And they had mushrooms popping out everywhere.  I don't know if you can do this with button mushrooms, but works for other types seemingly. 
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 19:54 »
I've just got a kit for growing winecaps from Mushroom box,supposed to be easy to grow outdoors.
I couldn't resist as I love mushrooms. I was going to get the blewitt kit as they're my favourites but they'd run out.
I was very tempted myself Judd, where are you growing them?
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 20:03 »
I haven't started them yet Auntiemogs as they just arrived yesterday. After reading the instructions I thought I would grow them in the shadow of the south facing 6ft solid fence on my allotment.
Of all the things I would love to grow ,mushrooms come very near the top of the list!

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 22:08 »
we used to buy spent mushroom compost for the lottie to use as soil conditioner, had it piled in the corner and could'nt beleive the amount of mushrooms we harvested from it. Sadley the mushy farm has closed down but i will source another soon its well worth it.
If there are any such farms in your areas give it a go! ::)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 22:10 »
I haven't started them yet Auntiemogs as they just arrived yesterday. After reading the instructions I thought I would grow them in the shadow of the south facing 6ft solid fence on my allotment.
Of all the things I would love to grow ,mushrooms come very near the top of the list!
Do let me know how you get on Judd. Might give them a go next year.  :tongue2:

xx
mushroom kits - how are they all going?

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 12:45
by agapanthus
xx
Mushroom Kits

Started by Kerry on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 20:10
by shaun
xx
Mushroom Kits

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 03, 2017, 22:20
by 3759allen
xx
ph testing kits

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2010, 15:04
by Salmo

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 36 queries.