Green Fly???????

• 2 Replies

arh

Green Fly???????
« on: May 21, 2017, 13:50 »
Hi, I have on my parsnips what appears to be Green Fly grubs, that's to say that they are green and they are grubs. They are approx 0.5mm long and there are lots of them, (well, I think that there are lots of them). I found them by noticing that one parsnip's leaves were beginning to "curl up", similar to the way that rose leaves curl up when attacked by "wee grubbies", so I had a close look and found these wee green grubs. I doubt that I could photograph them as they are so small. Obviously I inspected a few more parsnips and found that they too had these wee green grubs, but the leaves weren't curled up yet.
The question is "what type of insecticide do I use on them??". I have a very old book that I usually follow for gardening advice, but it mentions "nicotine" and "pyrethrum" amongst other remedies. I need a relatively modern insecticide, such as "Rose Clear" or similar. Thank you in advance for any assistance. arh.
ps The Book is Charles Boff's "The Big Book Of Gardening".
update!!, they may be "little green eggs" as I haven't seen any move, (yet).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 14:00 by arh »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Green Fly???????
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 16:04 »
It sounds very similar to something I've seen on my parsnips a few times in the past couple of years - in my case they were the eggs of some sort of flying insect and hatched into scores of tiny caterpillars which formed colonies on the underside of the leaves.

I'm afraid at this point what looks like a helpful reply becomes less so - nearest I got to finding out what they were was that they could have been some type of sawfly, but because they only affected a few leaves I just picked them off and chucked them in the bin. The plants didn't seem any the worse for the attack, although obviously if more of the leaves had been affected it would have been a different story.

I did manage to get a picture of the little beasties, which I have attached to this reply.
STA70016-001.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arh

Re: Green Fly???????
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 13:21 »
Thank you for that JayG, mine are a lot lot smaller than those, and bright green, I'm going to have a read on the bottle of Rose Clear and see what it gets rid off and test it on one plant.

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
I can see something GREEN !!!

Started by spade or shovel? on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 10:50
by st0ne5ish
xx
green fly

Started by chelseablue on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 17:27
by compostqueen
xx
Green fly

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 18:38
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 36 queries.