Chickens and veggies.

• 59 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Chickens and veggies.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 12:01 »

I am a great believer in instinct and common sense. ;)

And I am a great believer in not compromising the forum by continuing to discuss what is an illegal practice, bonkers though it may be to us back garden chicken keepers.  We all do it, so let's keep it to ourselves. ;)
Cheese makes everything better.

Fiona55

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 17:01 »
Hi, I have only had my chooks for just over a month, & am only giving them veg (as well pellets & corn).  Cucumber seems to be a particular favourite, not so keen on white cabbage.  Anyone think that bread is a good idea or any other left overs.  I thought it best for them just to stick to veg.

Oliveview

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 14:42 »
If the hens were allowed  bread it has to be soaked in water, otherwise it isnīt good for the hens.  Iīm ok, I am in Spain!!  I am not covered by DEFRA   :lol: and I give my hens veg/fruit and bread.... I donīt know if there is a Spanish rule or not  :wub:  Potato peelings and hard veg (like carrots and cabbage stalks) all get cooked.  Not in the summer, only when it is cold do the hens get īcookedī treats, in the summer the potato peelings and cabbage stalks go onto the compost, and the hens glare at me as I throw the veg onto the compost  :lol:

I had to go about the gardn picking up mouldy green bread the neighbour threw in for the hens once and the oliveīs  that had gone off.  The hens love the olives that just fall off the tree, but olives in vinegar and salt water....  >:( with garlic added for fun  :ohmy:

Pamela

northernplan

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 19:33 »
Our chooks will get all the spare veg out of the garden when it has grown. We always seen to have at least one cabbage that doesn't grow so well. We did try planting some herbs in their run for them (apparently they are very good for them) but this only worked for a couple of days before they discovered them and ate the lot down to the roots! :nowink: Very happy chooks while the herbs survived but they are back to grass now!

Little red

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 09:51 »
I like to give my girls fresh veg but usually give them same things - spinach,cabbage,lettuce,curly kale,cucumber and broccoli - i was wondering what else i can give them. I have heard chickweed is good for them but i dont know what it looks like or where to find it :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 10:15 »
here you go  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Little red

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 18:34 »
Thats great thanks i think i have seen that growing near me  :)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 12:54 »
You can put all your kitchen scraps into your compost heap (along with poo and crushed up shells) - then you use that compost on your soil to grow veggies for your chooks  :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 17:33 »
Please don't do anything sensible for gods sake incase anyone should get sued.

Jeezzz, never heard the likes of it.  ::)

The next thing will be robotic hens that can only be fed nuts n bolts from a goverment institution.

robsonutop

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 22:23 »
Hi al
I feed my hens left over bread from my kitchen and when I weed my veg patch I tip those in for them to scratch at. I also give them the bruised windfalls from my appletrees in autumn. I still feed mixed grain and layers mainly,  but they enjoy the variety and it's a good way of getting rid of my weeds especially as my compost bin starts to get full. I bake the bread myself so it doesn't contain lots of salt

joyfull

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 07:20 »
bread can swell up and cause problems for the hens. If you do feed bread it should always be wet. However please remember feeding kitchen scraps is illegal.

alaj

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 08:45 »
 :)A tractor full of corn on the cob dropped loads as it went past the house :D I have very happy girls :D
My chickens probably make more sense than I do so forgive me ;-)

joyfull

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 16:48 »
lucky hens - mine love corn on the cob  :D

Chrysalis

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 20:08 »
Corn on the cob, yummy.  Too good for my chooks, I'm afraid..... ;)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 19:33 »
we went away for a few days this week so hung up a huge pumpkin just out of their reach with a small hole cut into the bottom to expose the flesh, when we got back a few days ago half of it had gone, i just went out to check what was left and the only thing hanging was the stalk! just about to put another one up now.

we grow lettuces for them in the allottment and let them go to seed  so they are huge, they eat better than me!!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

xx
Chickens on the run

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 22:50
by splash101
xx
My chickens

Started by bordercreek on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 15:32
by bordercreek
xx
New Chickens

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2012, 16:08
by splash101
xx
we are new to all this we have 10 chickens

Started by krystal on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 22:47
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.