We have a new polytunnel - help on growing in it

• 9 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
We have a new polytunnel - help on growing in it
« on: March 29, 2011, 13:44 »
We have recently erected our new polytunnel in the garden.  It isn't anything fancy - just a cheap one to use for starting off our seeds and to have a go at growing tomatoes, melons, etc.

It is about 14ft x 6ft and is unheated.

Yesterday I decided to get some seeds in - although I am not really sure if I have done them too early.  We have always grown from mainly plug plants before although have grown carrots, lettuce, leeks, beans and parsnips from seed.

So far I have some beetroot seeds in, Gardeners Delight tomatoes, cucumber, cabbage and my onion sets.   I was thinking of starting some salad leaves off (I want to grow some in the polytunnel as well as on the allotment for easier access) and leeks off at the weekend.

Is there anything else I can get started now, bearing in mind that we are in the Midlands and we have no heat in the polytunnel or have I started too early?
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: We have a new polytunnel - help on growing in it
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 13:55 »
IMO it is too early for tomato or cucumber seeds to germinate in an unheated polytunnel, if that is what you've done?

Tomatoes can be started now on an indoor windowledge, for transplant out into the polytunnel at the end of April beg May. Tomatoes have to have temperatures above 10C which you won't have yet in the tunnel. The cucumbers like it even warmer and I won't even start them indoors, until late April.

Lettuce and leeks can be started off now in the tunnel :)

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 13:58 »
Thanks for that.    I will bring the tomatoes indoors then - I only did one tray as I was pretty sure that I was being too eager.  New polytunnel syndrome I suppose!

I only put three cucumber seeds in so I will leave them where they are and continue to lovingly water them just in case.  But will bear in mind that they will probably not do anything and get some more in in May.

I will get the lettuce and leeks in on Saturday.

sally10

• Chickens make me smile everyday !!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 21:46 »
Hi,
Where did you get your from ? And how much was it?
I'm trying to find a reasonably priced one and they all seem to be quite expensive xx

debih

• Experienced Member

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 10:17 »
Have a look on the back of your seed packets and it will tell you what can be sown outdoors now.  I say outdoors as your polytunnel is unheated so whatever you sow needs to be hardy as we have some more cold weather to come, with frosts.  I know your PT offers some protection but seeds generally don't do well if they're cold and damp.  Things like parsnips, leeks, spring onions are hardier as are peas and broad beans. So, get reading those packets and you'd be surprised at what you can get going now.  I have a couple of trays of those mixed oriental leaves on the go all the time. One tray = one wok ful  :)  I also have a tray or two of mixed salad leaves on the go (not in a PT but an unheated greenhouse)  I also have two tubs of early spuds in there. 

You'll have to be aware of pests in the polytunnel and all sorts of peskies will want to dine on your seedlings so just be aware.  I had to set a mouse trap last night because as soon as I moved trays of brassica plantlets in there the mice arrived  :nowink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 13:09 »
As you've only got 3 cucumber seeds in, why don't you make a little cloche to cover them with for now until it gets a bit warmer.

I'm trying my tomatoes, cucumber, chilli and pepper seeds in an old fish tank inside my unheted greenhouse and with a bit of glass over the top and a bit of plastic sheet over it all!

Probably too warm in there now, but it will be interesting to see what happens! :)

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 14:51 »
Oooooh - I've got an old fish tank in the shed - I think I might give it a go and will get a cloche to go over the cucumbers.  I don't have any glass or plastic to go over the top of the tank though - I wonder if cling film will do the trick - I will give it a go.

In fact I think my dad has one of those electric propogators - I might have a nosey around in his shed this afternoon and see what I can find.

peskypixie

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 18:55 »
Congratulations on your new tunnel. We now have two and LOVE them! I am now at the stage where I have turned propgators off and am planting a vast array of stuff in seed trays now as they are germinating happily in there. I started the toms, cucumbers off with heat but they are now all planted out and peppers, aubergine, chilli etc are potted on and just need to get bigger before they go in. The french beans, mizuna, onions, pak choi, radish, spinach are all doing well and I have loads of coriander and other herbs doing very nicely. We are currently eating the spinach, mizuna and coriander now and it won't be long before the beans start to flower. You can overwinter leafy greens in there too. Just remember that toms etc need heat to germinate but if your tunnel is south facing and relatively warm now - other stuff can be sown now and your tender plants will generally be ok. I do however, double up on tomatoes just in case there is a later frost and will give them away if all goes well. Get some french beans in now.....speedy are my fave. Currently 50p for a small packet in Morrisons - from Kenya! Nasty!

rozalia

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 20:01 »
I've started my tub of pea shoots last week (cheap dried marrowfat peas sowed thickly in any sort of container).  Keep watered and cut when 6-8 inches high to go with salads.  I keep mine in the polytunnel all summer and start a second batch later to keep the pea shoots growing for weeks and weeks.

xx
growing in a polytunnel

Started by jambop on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
New to Polytunnel Growing

Started by bobbyt on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2023, 22:01
by grinling
xx
Growing Chrysanthemums in a Polytunnel

Started by Donnay on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2016, 20:27
by syks grower
xx
Growing kiwi in a polytunnel

Started by Offwego on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2018, 15:28
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 40 queries.