Veggies in the shade

• 7 Replies

Dawn in the North

Veggies in the shade
« on: August 15, 2006, 21:46 »
Dear All,

1/3rd of my plot is in shade, I have very mature trees all along one side, and the sunlight only gets here late in the day.  I tried onions on this side this year, but they are very small.  I have come to the conclusion the soil is poorer in this area because of the trees and I don't think the limited sunlight situation is helping either.

Can you suggest any veggies or edible plants which would grow well or at least better here?

Thanks in advance  :)

Dawn
Dawn in the North
Aberdeen

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Veggies in the shade
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 08:41 »
Hi Dawn,
I've got trees on my southern side, so only get the sun once it's come round to the south west. This is ok in summer, but it's going to be out of the sun a lot during winter. I've grown my tatties and brassicas on that side this year and they've done well.

noshed

Veggies in the shade
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:19 »
Overwintered broad beans did well in my shady bed this year. Now I'm using it for lettuces so they can escape the heat. I'm thinking of using it for brassicas when the lettuces are done.
I also put my compost heap and shed on that side too.
Amazingly I have a giant grape vine which seems to like its roots in the shade so it can spread itself up the 20' high fence. (I cut it back too much last winter (I didn't know what it was) so no grapes this year but it looks very healthy.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

wellingtons

I was about to suggest ...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 13:52 »
... salad crops ... as noshed pointed out, they would appreciate a bit of respite from the heat.

jaycee

• Experienced Member
Veggies in the shade
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 17:26 »
West Coast of Scotland hasn`t had to worry about it being too hot apart from the odd day. How did you fare on the East Coast?

hermon

Veggies in the shade
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 17:46 »
i read in a country mag today that flea beetle won't eat any crops by a hedge they only like to eat in the middle of an area. anyone found this to be true?

Dawn in the North

Veggies in the shade
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 19:48 »
Thanks to all.

I will maybe try a few rows of brassicas over there next year, definately some salad crops, and maybe a few tatties.  :wink:

The weather here has been gray for about a week now, with no sign of let up. Oh well, looks like we've had our two weeks of summer!

Those two week os summer really helped thought!  I've had about 5 courgettes, the tomatoes have finally ripened, and my Chillies (inside the house) are really coming on, I'm really excited, they look like actual Jalapeno Chillies and should be ready soon :D

Regards

Dawn

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Veggies in the shade
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 08:51 »
Quote from: "Dawn in the North"
The weather here has been gray for about a week now, with no sign of let up. Oh well, looks like we've had our two weeks of summer!

I can't believe how different the weather can be just down the coast. We've had a sunny summer so far. This weekend looks like the first in weeks and weeks when it's going to rain.

xx
Do any veggies like to be in the shade?

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 04:20
by Thephoenix572
xx
Veggies in the shade?

Started by JimS on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 13:53
by aelf
xx
To shade or not to shade.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2021, 13:29
by Goosegirl
xx
Shade?

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 11:42
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 39 queries.