Manuring how often?

• 6 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Manuring how often?
« on: April 05, 2016, 11:37 »
I usually dig/manure once a year all the beds on the plot.  My method is trench 1 spit deep lay manure in trench then back fill with the soil from the next trench.  Someone on the site has suggested I need only do this once every 2 years,  I am not sure?  what is your opinion?

Mike.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:38 by greenhead »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Manuring how often?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:28 »
I am a once a year chap, however being Blackpool we have the old beach as our growing medium so we need to add as much goodness each year.

I never muck in the patch where the carrots and snips are growing tho!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:41 »
If manure is easy to get, you can always lay some on the surface of the beds and let the worms dig it in - much easier  :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 13:19 »
If manure is easy to get, you can always lay some on the surface of the beds and let the worms dig it in - much easier  :)
Depends on the type of manure and its age. Fresh horse/pony droppings can just dry out and never get mixed into the soil until they are dug in, as I discovered this week when I dug over a patch I treated last autumn.

The problem lies with the type of feed that the animals are fed. Autumn/winter feeds tend to be quite dry and the droppings are likewise. They just stay on the surface of the soil and the rain leaches out any soft matter leaving a sort of dry fibrous sponge, a bit like a shredded wheat. Well, you did ask  :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 13:58 by AlaninCarlisle »

Robster

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:28 »
Like Aidy I'm a once a year chap.  I put it on the ground when it's free and fork it in if not incorporated a couple of weeks before planting/sowing.  Again I don't manure the root bed.  I also grow green manure when I have space and time.  BFB, chicken manure and a bit of Growmore throughout the season.

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 11:25 »
Once a year, then the occasional light repeat scattering for anything I think might like a little bit extra, such as the potatoes. None on the roots.

In your case, did the other person say why? What is your soil like?

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 12:31 »
Thanks all for the replies,

My soil is sand coloured  clay one spit down the top layer is earth like,  We get free manure during the Winter/Spring so I tend to use it!!  The allotmenteer didn't say why he manured every 2 years, but I can see why gross feeders liking it every year (spuds) but not much else.  At 73 years, I would do every 2 years if I could get away with it!!

Mike.

xx
manuring bed

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 12:14
by noshed
xx
manuring?

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 22:00
by Yorkie
xx
Manuring?

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 14:04
by Livinhope
xx
manuring

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 21:55
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 40 queries.