Greenhouse tomatoes

• 7 Replies

Spana

Greenhouse tomatoes
« on: July 18, 2009, 12:45 »
Some of the fruit trusses on my Shirley tomatoes in the greenhouse have continued to grow at the end .  I've been picking them out but found one this morning that I'd missed and it has continued to grow and is now setting a second truss, if you know what i mean.
Anyone know what has caused this, under or over feeding, too hot greenhouse, or is it just the variety.
Thanks

beansticks

Re: Greenhouse tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 12:57 »
It is common with a few varieties,not sure what causes it,unless it is something to do with removing side shoots.The plants only objective is to produce seed.Personally i always remove this extra "truss".

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 09:36 »
I've got some tomatoes this year that are even sprouting from the middle of their leaves ...

... I take off all such shoots, if they get to the point of setting a truss the weight tends to be insupportable (compared to normal trusses).

However, I wonder if it would solve the problem of getting extra trusses once the plants have reached the roof? :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 20:11 »
I don't know what's going on but the toms seem to be doing some very funny things this year. Can't just be coincidence, can it? :unsure:
I have some Tigerella that should be smallish, round and stripey...that are plum shaped and stripey :blink:
and some gardeners delight that are still small, but ribbed like a beef steak :wacko:

Deucecoup

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:44 »
My tigers are doing great but my yellow pear toms are ok apart from they seem to have 1 round beef tom on each plant!! ???

All very odd.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 10:38 »
All my tomatoes have the most amazingly large/long trusses on them, some dividing into two, I have never had such a heavy crop, both inside and outside  :)
Rachael

ynysmonron

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 11:15 »
My marmande toms have got realy heavy first trusses (thirteen fruits) but the second and third trusses have only two or three fruits???????

Spana

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 14:31 »
My marmande toms have got realy heavy first trusses (thirteen fruits) but the second and third trusses have only two or three fruits???????

Mine are a bit like that.  I put it down to that very hot spell we had- seems a long time ago now ???- when the fruit didn't set too well.

xx
tomatoes in greenhouse

Started by Wiltshire Worms on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 17:43
by Headgardener22
xx
Help on tomatoes in greenhouse please

Started by simpson-allen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 19:12
by mumofstig
xx
greenhouse tomatoes

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 11:09
by Kristen
xx
tomatoes in the greenhouse

Started by gardening robbo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 15:28
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.