Winter Onions - Help!

• 3 Replies

timdunn

Winter Onions - Help!
« on: November 04, 2010, 13:27 »
Hello,

I'm hoping to plant winter onions this weekend but am concerned I may have left it a bit late. Can anyone provide advice on:

1. When the last planting date should be (I live in NE Scotland);
2. If I should add fertilizer to the ground first, or wait till spring (going in after potatoes);
3. If they will store ok - I read somewhere recently that they will store just as well as summer onions, but that seems to contradict most of what ahs been said here!).

Any help much appreciated!

Tim
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 13:30 by timdunn »

bigben

Re: Winter Onions - Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 14:02 »
I think you can still get them in now - I guess it depends how cold the soil is up in not so sunny Scotland. If you have bought them then you might as well give them a try. You could add a little fertiliser but they are only going to do I little bit of growing and will need most of their nutrients in the spring when they really take off. They do not store well but if you start using them as soon as they are big enough to lift - (I was eating my biggest from mid May and lifted them all about June) - then they will tide you over until the spring planted onions are ready. These should store well but the winter ones are only really meant to be a stop gap. I had used mine by Sept so dont know how long they would have kept for.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 14:59 »
I've got some Radar which I'm going to plant this weekend. I've already planted two lots but these are gap fillers where they've either failed to get going or birds have pulled them up

I like Radar and I've had good results from them and they do store well in my experience  :)

timdunn

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 14:01 »
Thanks for the advice!

It's been fairly mild up here and sun's never in short supply  ;) so I guess there's a good chance they will grow ok. 

Am planting Radar, Troy and Red Cross.

Cheers - Tim

xx
Over winter onions

Started by wilbzfishing on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2013, 12:13
by wilbzfishing
xx
winter onions

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 22:56
by Gleavo
xx
Winter Onions

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 06:23
by New shoot
xx
Old winter onions

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2014, 18:38
by banf77

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 36 queries.