BBC2 Famers Life now

• 36 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
BBC2 Famers Life now
« on: March 01, 2011, 20:07 »
Just started on BBC2, this week's programme is about turkeys and all things poultry ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

chickadee

Re: BBC2 Famers Life now
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 20:34 »
i'm watching it right now thank you for the reminder
chickens out

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 20:43 »
Im watching it and finding it very interesting :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 21:52 »
Hmmmmm - Just watched a recording and I know there are few on here that could do a lot better. I missed the first few minutes as I read Yorkie's post too late. Was it a competition to build a hen / duck run in the shortest possible time using the least amount of cheap materials? I didn't think it was a good advertisement of the way to keep birds safely.

If the programme was any thing to go by some of you should go into business from the photographs I've seen posted.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 22:56 »
And run poultry-keeping courses!!
ManicMum

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 23:07 »
lol my Brian sits there every week saying you don't do it like that!  And we know of Paul Kelly as that's where we get our turkey babies from, and he does know what he's doing, so it's funny to see his reactions to what some of them are trying to do!

The thing is, that if these couple's were farmers, they wouldn't be doing all these different things at the same time, only if they were going into smallholding.  Generally a 'farmer' only does one or two of these different things.  Okay, Jimmy Doherty tries everything!  But mainly he is into pigs.

So even the ones that get kicked off every week, can still make a go of what they want, but thre are or were some that don't seem to like hard work, and some, including the city couple, who don't like working out in the rain!  :lol: :lol:

Brian came in this afternoon covered all down one side in mud and poo! lol  He'd been trying to get the Plymouth rocks in, and one escaped him.  He tried to turn quickly to get her and slipped over!  You should have seen the state of him, he even had mud on his head!!!  I can't see the city girl living with that!   :lol: :lol:

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 18:18 »
I love this programme, mainly cos it is my dream (and thats all it is!). It does annoy me that I reckon that I could do a better job than most of them!

I wish Jimmy would think about his initial venture though, I remember him building pig pens which they all got out of, making mistakes when building the shop etc so he needs to think about how he's judging! Still like the guy though. Would he have done as well if he wasn't big buddies with Jamie Oliver?

Secondly, if every farmer could come up with an amazing niche product every week, we would run out of products and everyone would be loaded! Fact of the matter is unfortunately you can't be good at everything!

there are still some useless couples left in though, the pen for the ducks (duck egg pasta) was a disgrace, we should have all gone on it. lol

Cows next week, hope thier pens are a bit stronger!  :tongue2:

steve

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 00:31 »
Jimmy, of course, is the epitome of the perfect farmer. Nothing like having Jamie Oliver invest and a lucrative BBC contract to make your farm pay :)

Actually the researcher rang me ages ago and asked for ideas for a competition - think I may have mentioned building a poultry house but I can't remember now. I've watched a few of these but must admit to hating the format.

What is it about watching people having their hopes and dreams dashed or making a fool of themselves that appeals to people? I find watching people failing very depressing - maybe because I've been their myself.

Now if they ran a course 'how to be a smallholder' on telly then I think that would be wonderful.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 00:53 »
I do 'try' and watch this programme, but it actually just annoys me, mainly because none of them seem to know the vaguest thing about animal husbandry, I only hope it isa lot stricter while off-air, I think it was the goats that looked to be browsing of a potted shrub, wonder what that was?, like the 'remake' of 'The good Life' where the goat was eating a hedge as they walked down the road, I worry about the animal welfare, the hedge could easily be poisonous to goats (I won't go into my horror at the Chrismas episode)
back to the farm, it seems to be more about marketing ideas than the day to day 'slog'

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 12:42 »
The lack of knowledge surprises me too - even if you've never kept livestock, you'd read up on it.

Perhaps they should have had the hens in an old caravan - like a certain Jimmy's Farm  :D

I wouldn't have trusted any of those fences to keep the foxes out except the electric ones and even then I'd like the back up of secure housing. The number of times we say on here that chicken wire isn't fox proof - they can chew through it. A hungry fox will even try and gnaw through wood.

As for the ducks in the shed - I think he was really unfair about that. Ducks are quite responsive and after a bit will know and trust their keeper.

Sorry, but it winds me up. A London luvvie's 'concept' programme of minute educational value and little entertainment either. As for the products - well I think the real winner should have been the poultry starter kit. Things like duck egg pasta at £5 a portion.. well perhaps that's nowt to a telly celeb or a banker but would you spend that?

Maybe it's just me..

PaulineM

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 13:27 »
I was looking forward to this episode thinking I might learn something  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have only been keeping hens since august and even I knew an awful lot more than they did.
I was sitting quite smugly saying to my hubby 'that wire isn't fox proof' 'that housing isn't suitable' etc, Then Jimmy and his experts come on and say 'Yeah, that would keep a fox out'  :(   Wiped the smile of my face  :lol:
Although have to admit they do only have 2 days to come up with their ideas.  ::)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 14:06 »
You're right PaulineM, it isn't fox proof at all. I think the couple they kicked off were actually one of the best candidates. Mind you, making a living from 25 acres.. not an easy prospect for normal farming unless they went into intensive or suchlike.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 23:44 »
I was conviced it would be 'blondie' and partner who would go- total surprise they stayed in,

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 09:32 »
I was conviced it would be 'blondie' and partner who would go- total surprise they stayed in,

Oh no, she's great telly. The one in the big brother house we all think a total airhead

PaulineM

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 14:37 »
Hi
I thought it would have been 'blondie & co' who would have went, did you see yer man scowling at Jimmy (scarey).  :unsure:
At least the other couple built a decent run  ???

xx
Here for life!!!

Started by Livinhope on Chicken Chat

23 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 11:30
by dizzylizzie
xx
New life

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2016, 22:32
by nerdle
xx
Life in the old girl yet!

Started by Chrysalis on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post January 26, 2014, 21:51
by barley
xx
life a riley

Started by amj on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 08:37
by curries

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.