To scarify or not to scarify

• 15 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
To scarify or not to scarify
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:03 »
I normally scarify the lawn at this time of the year but as it has been so dry (I am in East Anglia and it is pretty dry most of the time!) I wondered whether I should scarify or not as some of the grass has died due to the weather.  I don't want to pull up grass that will grow back if it rains, although presumably if it has died it isn't going to grow back!

Also, I have such a lot of weed in the front lawn that I put down Verdune, which has killed a lot of them off.  I would also like to put weed and feed down when we do get some rain.  After the massacre of the weeds there will be lots of blank spaces so will need to put some grass seed down but not sure when would be the best time for that.  How long after all this weedkiller can I put down grass seed?

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: To scarify or not to scarify
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:21 »
Well i did mine recently and to be honest wish i hadnt as it looks dreadfull!!!

Think its due to the dry weather so new grass hasnt grown.

However in another few weeks it should look ok again

(i always think this when i scarify though i think!!!)

sion01

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 13:07 »
I'm no expert but Id guess the grass is under enough stress already and if it's really dry you could pull out the grass by the roots.I'd get a deck chair,a bottle of chilled cider(or four) a wide brimmed hat and sit in the chair looking for rain clouds.But as I said i'm no expert.

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 13:45 »
Thanks very much - in the interests of my lawn you have managed to talk me out of it, although I think I will have to replace the chilled cider with white wine but otherwise everything else sounds spot on. 

If it ever does rain again, when could I scarify or should I just leave it now until the autumn?

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 17:06 »
I always thought that you should scarify in the autumn because grass produces tillers at that time and it helps them to thicken up over winter for the next year - forget the proper reasoning.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 17:25 »
Scarifying is best done in the spring as it leaves gaps and in the autumn moss would tend to populate these instead of grass which isn't growing by then. In the spring, grass will regrow. I wouldn't weed and feed if you are going to seed, can you not dig out some of the worst broad-leaved weeds and then seed? (We did this last spring ::)). Grass seed should be going down now, well watered if isn't going to rain.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 14:51 »
Will just have to wait and see what happens weatherwise I think.  Will also wait for the weedkiller to go and have a try at putting down some grass seed and see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 17:51 »
Scarifying is best done in the spring as it leaves gaps and in the autumn moss would tend to populate these instead of grass which isn't growing by then. In the spring, grass will regrow. I wouldn't weed and feed if you are going to seed, can you not dig out some of the worst broad-leaved weeds and then seed? (We did this last spring ::)). Grass seed should be going down now, well watered if isn't going to rain.

Interesting Argyllie - but I have to gently disagree. According to Hessayon book, autumn (September) scarifying stimulates these grass side-shoots and also runners which are only produced at this time of year. Yes - the grass will be growing more slowly, but it still grows at temps above 4C. If you use moss killer first, them the moss shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you scarify in spring, the bare patches could get taken over by weeds which will be more active then - just my opinion.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 18:13 »
And the world would be a dull place if we all agreed all of the time! :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 12:11 »
That's what makes gardening interesting and stimulating. Also, what works for some doesn't work for others and there's no obvious reason. Thanks for that, Argyllie.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 13:12 »
Wise words Goosegirl. :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 14:37 »

Interesting Argyllie - but I have to gently disagree. According to Hessayon book, autumn (September) scarifying stimulates these grass side-shoots and also runners which are only produced at this time of year. Yes - the grass will be growing more slowly, but it still grows at temps above 4C. If you use moss killer first, them the moss shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you scarify in spring, the bare patches could get taken over by weeds which will be more active then - just my opinion.

I have always scarified in Autumn, so I have to gently disagree with Argyllie as well.  Maybe it has to do with different weather climates .  It does help the lawn if you gently rake it though, with a tine rake.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 14:46 »
I'm going to disagree with argyllie just because I feel like it. :tongue2:
Cheese makes everything better.

stompy

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 14:50 »
Well i disagree with all of you and i don't even have grass.  :tongue2: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 15:03 »
I'm going to disagree with all of you who disagree with Argyllie!  :tongue2:

I borrowed an electric scarifyer a few years ago and went over the lawn about six times, but found I got as much "stuff" out of it the sixth time as the first, so gave up!

(I then made the mistake of trying to compost the huge pile of mossy, grassy stuff; after over a year it was sort of dead but also sort of not rotted!)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Should I scarify the lawn ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2018, 18:55
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 40 queries.