Are you in for a real mulligawtawny soup

• 6 Replies

prakash_mib

Are you in for a real mulligawtawny soup
« on: April 26, 2010, 16:09 »
This one I kept for recipe competetion if it comes up.

Right the real one is from Tamil (my state from india) where they call it rassam. There are number of varieties of rassam, as my cousin sister makes around 18 varieties of it.

the variety mulligawtawny soup is pepper rasam

Recipe

1. crushed pepper (not powdered) - 1/2 tsp
2. garlic  - 1 clove
3. juicy tomato - 1
4. salt - to taste
5. chocoriander - garnishing
6. clarified butter/ghee (microwave butter for a minute to get a good clear fat) - 2-3 tsp

now hard to find ingredients

7. cumin seeds crushed (not powdered) - 1/2 tsp
8. tamarind water (made from golf ball sized tamarind / 1 tsp of puree) - 1 pint
9. curry leaves (Murraya koenigii) - 2 arcs

Cooking
give a tap on garlic to slightly crush it. make sure you dont crush too muck/pulp it.
Wash your hands (will tell you why)

Add crushed pepper, cumin seeds, garlic, curry leaves, salt to the tamarind water in a pan and heat medium. on the first bubble hand crush the tomato holding it on top of the pan to let the juice run down and the flesh crumple in your palm and falls into the pan (you should have washed your hands). This is to get perfect texture of tomato and release maximum pulp and juice. simmer for 3 more minutes and add clarified butter and switch the heat off. Now the rassam should be a clear soup with glaze on top (yum).
Add chopped coriander on top and give it a good stir and serve in bowls. drink hot and they are perfect appetizers.

Option.
you can add diced chicken (at start) and cook for few more minutes to get a chicken clear soup.

And when you make/have one please give your verdict.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 16:37 by prakash_mib »
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: Are you in for a real mulligawtawny soup
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 16:14 »
I suddenly feel rather peckish...

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 16:20 »
It is really tasty. Even more if you have flue symptoms. better than the shop bought medicines/cough syrups/lozenges.  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 16:56 »
I love mulligatawny  :tongue2:  but I've not made it myself. I've done sambar and loved that so I'd love to have a go at making this

Thanks  :)

Ribbit

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 17:27 »
I think I'm having rassam or sambhar tonight, looking forward to it :) I agree tis very good for flu/cold symptoms. you can also get half a teaspoon of each of the following: turmeric,cinnamon and ginger and a clove or so in some hot water to brew for 5minutes or so then sieve the stuff out doesn't really taste all that good but clears all that flem away ;) also you can try turmeric milk...but I don't know the recipe....
It's like America...But south!

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 19:09 »
Golden Milk from 'Grow Your Own Drugs'
put 200ml milk, 1/2 teasp Turmeric Paste , 1 teasp almond oil and honey(to taste)in a pan. Heat to just below boiling point. Then wizz in a blender to froth(adding fruit if liked). Drink

Turmeric Paste
put 30g dried turmeric powder in a pan with 150ml water and simmer to a thick paste.
this can also be used externally on arthritic joints.
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

prakash_mib

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 13:31 »
I think I'm having rassam or sambhar tonight, looking forward to it :) I agree tis very good for flu/cold symptoms. you can also get half a teaspoon of each of the following: turmeric,cinnamon and ginger and a clove or so in some hot water to brew for 5minutes or so then sieve the stuff out doesn't really taste all that good but clears all that flem away ;)
hope you enjoyed it.
the other medicine you talked about is a general home medicine. we add fresh adathoda vasica leaves (so bitter that you can feel bitterness for next two days) and honey to the ingredients you mentioned get rid of flue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justicia_adhatoda on adathoda vasica. the best flue medicine ever.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 13:34 by prakash_mib »

xx
hers a real tasty way to use up pigeons breats .

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 28, 2006, 11:09
by muntjac
xx
Looking for wine and alcohol recipes from real people.

Started by hayles62 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

30 Replies
Last post November 15, 2006, 13:41
by hayles62
xx
soup

Started by jamima on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 21:06
by kevinp
xx
Serious soup...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 16:06
by Growster...

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 33 queries.