Can't find ......

• 5 Replies

ex-cavator

Can't find ......
« on: June 19, 2010, 15:10 »
Determined to make some elderflower champagne this year (I've been saying it every year for the last umpteen years and never actually get round to it) I looked out the recipe & bought the sugar, lemons, etc in readiness. But I can't find anywhere locally that sells brewing & winemaking stuff nowadays.

So, for sterilising the kit, would Miltons or similar / baby bottl sterilisers do OK? And what about yeast - the only thing I can find is for bread making - is it the same stuff? And then muslin - can't find any - will anything else do? I guess I can get it all off t'internet, but I want to do it now, otherwise it'll get forgotten again. Can anybody advise?  :unsure:

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Re: Can't find ......
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 17:47 »
Hi I got my wine stuff from Wilkinsons  You might not need the yeast elderflowers have their own sometimes you just have to add a pinch to get it going. If you haven't got a wilkinsons you could start off the champagne and send for some yeast from the internet it should have arrived by the time you might need it. Hope that makes sense :)
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 18:16 »
Although Miltons is not ideal (expence) it can be used. A weak solution of Dettol is cheaper but remember to rinse all equipment thoroghly (sp).
Or PM me your address and Ill send you some VWP Sterilizing Powder
Confucuos said... "Youve spelt my name wrong"

ohbeary

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 17:14 »
Don't know about Dettol old dear, could leave a nasty taste, "Home Hardware" shops usually have a small range of brewing stuff and there are plenty of online sites  
http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl this one is run by Harris Filters and has a "shop" section
http://www.wineworks.co.uk/department/shop/   this one is certainly worth a look ;) but as they point out some countries require that you have a license to distil alcohol ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 20:52 by ohbeary »

ex-cavator

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 19:05 »
Many thanks for your help, guys - I've accepted the fact that i'd have to wait until I can get the stuff so I've ordered a few bits online. But isn't it annoying that so few shops sell home winemaking / brewing stuff nowadays? I can't believe it's not still a popular pastime  :unsure:

ohbeary

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 21:03 »
New budget on the way my dears!, there may soon be more HB outlets!, tax's on booze to protect the weak and penalise the poor, but! apparently a higher threshold for business rate, so if you don't sell too much HB stuff  ;) you can make a mint! and make a lot of folk happy and merry :D

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.