Poll

Are you happy with the multi-purpose compost you have bought and used this year?

No problems
14 (53.8%)
It's rubbish!
5 (19.2%)
Very inconsistent
7 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

How good is your multi-purpose compost?

• 22 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: How good is your multi-purpose compost?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 20:01 »
I bought some Homebase own brand compost earlier this year. :(  It looked just like someone had shredded some cardboard boxes and stuffed it into bags.  Awful stuff, an absolute rip off.

Even the "name" products have disappointed this year.
Cheese makes everything better.

wighty

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 20:28 »
As a retailer we have an account with Sinclairs (Arthur Bowyers) for 15 pallets spread over the year (each pallet is 60 bags).  The ones earlier this year were 'carp', full of big bits of wood and rubbish but the two pallets that came in last week were so much better, much finer and more what we are used to.  I think the summers that we have had over the last two years have had an influence on the 'consistency' and with the better weather this year we are getting back to what we normally get. I am only reporting on what I used at the weekend to repot my Geraniums for the Winter and my personal observations.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 22:28 »
I generally have to buy a bag or 2 until i find the one i want. And its different every yr.

My advice is to watch this site next yr when we all start chatting about them,  tips about whats ok this yr free for all  ;)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 23:01 »
I went with B+Q's this year, partly cos Which magazine said it was OK.... had generally good germination of commercial seed and decent germination for self-saved. Only failures were with quite old seed. I only really use it for seed-sowing cos here in Swindon we can buy from the recycling places for 28 quid a ton loose... and I have a van and a trailer.... a ton of compost is an enormous amount.... with three dumpy bags in my van and two in the trailer I managed to load 800Kg in an hour and I had to stop because it was getting hard to swing the shovel up to the height to get any more into the van,,,,,,if nothing else it taught me never to buy MPC for use in potting on and for the tomato beds etc.... I'll use the rather coarser loose stuff if I need some, and they do tyopsoil and soil/compost blend for the same price so you can mix it to your owns specs if you want....

chrisc

Zippy

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 23:04 »
B&Q Peat Free MP compost - has to be riddled to get the bigger bits out if using as sowing compost; otherwise it gives a good solid base for most plants and re-wets nicely. Root balls are good and solid when planting out.

A bit more expensive but very nice is B&Q Organic Peat free MP compost; finer and smells great - earthy.

I tried a bag of Fertile Fibre - a Coir compost - but it dried out much too quickly giving rise to sickly plants with weak root systems. Would not use again. The only thing it was good for was starting off smaller root trainers but these needed transplanting to peat free compost to keep them going.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 23:04 »
I generally have to buy a bag or 2 until i find the one i want. And its different every yr.

So essentially, it is just luck at first, you can never tell each year what each one is going to be like, you would have thought some of the big branda would have some consistensy ::)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

solway cropper

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 23:30 »
What this shows is that we should all be making our own MPC if we have the space. I know you can't do that if you're gardening on a balcony in a flat but most of us have room for a dalek, open heap or leaf-mould frame.

Next year I'll only buy a small amount of compost for seed sowing because it's supposed to be sterile and weed free, something I can't guarantee with my own stuff.

savbo

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 11:29 »
B&Q Peat Free MP compost - has to be riddled to get the bigger bits out if using as sowing compost; otherwise it gives a good solid base for most plants and re-wets nicely. Root balls are good and solid when planting out.

A bit more expensive but very nice is B&Q Organic Peat free MP compost; finer and smells great - earthy.

I tried a bag of Fertile Fibre - a Coir compost - but it dried out much too quickly giving rise to sickly plants with weak root systems. Would not use again. The only thing it was good for was starting off smaller root trainers but these needed transplanting to peat free compost to keep them going.

I found half riddled B&Q and half reconstituted coir (from the bricks) gave quite good results

xx
Anyone found any good online deals for growbags/multi purpose compost?

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 19:12
by Yana
xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband
xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette
question
Looking for a supplier of multi purpose compost

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 10:50
by Lesleyk

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 40 queries.