Multi purpose compost

• 11 Replies

sclarke624

Multi purpose compost
« on: April 22, 2009, 13:14 »
I have found some lovely compost at a reasonable price 2.99 for 75 litres Godwins.  Best I've seen in ages black crumbley and out of three bags only 7 pieces of gravel, two small pieces of black plastic bag,and one 4" lump of wood.believe me the stuff I've been getting including levingtons was a thousand times worse than that.......old story.glass stones biggerthan gravel, wood, terracota broken bits, foil, plastic bag bits etc.

Anyway I digress can I keep a sealed bag stored for a year, will it still be nutrified or whatever word it is I am thinking off tasty for plants.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Multi purpose compost
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 13:37 »
 :unsure: I have used old compost stored in my shed the following year with no adverse effects. Its interesting reading your comments, I bought a fresh JA Bowers and its dodo, I prick out from my levington seed compost and re-pot into this and my plants snuff it or struggle to grow on. Its really really winding me up.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 13:53 »
I found a really sharp shard of glass in my New Horizons peat free compost last night - sliced by thumb!  Otherwise, I think its ok, seems good consistency and colour.

Mowhay

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 14:29 »
I have used 7  of the 75L bags of Erin Multipurpose so far this year and it is excellent

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 14:38 »
I over purchased last year, and am still happily using that, with good results generally this year. :)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 18:00 »
I went to Robinson's (of the mammoth onions) this week and saw and bought 3 bags of "Natural-Gro" organic multi-purpose compost for £12 and it's looks and feels great! They recommended it too. I agree about the rubbish we are getting - I hope Kermit sends a letter of complaint to New Horizon re- the shard of glass - that is really negligent of them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 18:32 »

Anyway I digress can I keep a sealed bag stored for a year, will it still be nutrified or whatever word it is I am thinking off tasty for plants.
If the bag is left outside nutrients could be leached out by rain.
If stored inside soluble nutrients could migrate to one end of the bag so would need to be well mixed before use next year. Could also help to leave open after mixing for a while before use in case there has been a build up of ammonia from breakdown of organic nitrogen
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 22:25 »
I have posted this elsewhere, but I have found Vitax's Q4 Multi Purpose compost excellent this year - you should be able to find it @ three bags for a tenner.

FCG

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 00:06 »
So far this year 3 125L bales of compost from been and queued. Cracking stuff all fine with barely any plastic bag and never any gravel.

harrymac

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 08:35 »
I've not seen a bag of compost with a date on it (e.g. bagged/best before/use by), so really you don't know how old even a 'new' bag is.

So whether old or new give it a sniff. If it smells fresh then use it; if it has gone off then either take it back for a refund or dig it in to your plot as a soil conditioner.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32 »
ive had some been and queued as well and its good stuff for a change. Also had some bowers and its full of all sorts of foreign bodies.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

courgette

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 10:43 »
So far this year 3 125L bales of compost from been and queued. Cracking stuff all fine with barely any plastic bag and never any gravel.

:lol: been & queued  :lol:

xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband
xx
Multi purpose v seed compost

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2019, 09:14
by Lardman
xx
Cheap multi purpose compost

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 16:49
by BostonInbred
xx
How good is your multi-purpose compost?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 11:29
by savbo

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 35 queries.