Looking for a supplier of multi purpose compost

• 7 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Looking for a supplier of multi purpose compost
« on: January 15, 2014, 13:34 »
I need to order around 48 70l bags of multi purpose compost for delivery to my address on the west coast of Scotland.  I got a great deal from Creative Garden Ideas last year - buy two get one free, with free delivery - which worked out at £3.60 per bag!  This year they are offering the same deal, so I placed my order and found they no longer deliver to my area - boo!  A lot of companies are either not delivering or charging extortionate prices for doing so - much more than ever before.  So - can anyone point me in the direction of a good (cheap) supplier, who will deliver and doesn't charge the earth for it?  Grateful for any help!

compostqueen

Re: Looking for a supplier of multi purpose compost
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 13:35 »
If you locate your nearest allotment association they will have a supplier for you  :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 14:53 »
How about a DIY store, like B and Q, they usually do good deals on multi-purpose compost, and you're getting close to the 3 for £10. which is probably the cheapest you'll get anywhere!

Not sure on delivery where you live though!

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 14:58 »
How about a DIY store, like B and Q, they usually do good deals on multi-purpose compost, and you're getting close to the 3 for £10. which is probably the cheapest you'll get anywhere!

Not sure on delivery where you live though!
I rate the (past) multi-purpose Bizzy-queued compost as very good after trying my usual mix of brands, and it also SMELT and FELT right! They do mega-bags but don't know about delivery for your area.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:49 »
Me again.  I have real problems getting anyone to deliver to this area - b&q is a complete no-no, but much research online has resulted in an offer from Wickes (who will deliver) - 48 x 60l bags of multi-purpose for £156, which doesn't seem too bad.  Before ordering, does anyone know anything about the quality of the Wickes Peat-Free Multi-Purpose?  The deal is buy 5 at £3.59 each.  Delivery to me is around £25 but it's still a good deal, if the compost is worth having.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 09:09 »
I think it's fair to say that it was ok last year, but not so good the year before..... any chance you can check what this year's is like before you order?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:18 »
Wickes upset many of their previously very satisfied compost customers a couple of years ago (including me) by introducing a new formula for their (not peat-free) compost which seemed to contain a large proportion of something like shredded matchsticks!  :ohmy:

They apparently dropped the formula fairly quickly after the bad news spread, but I think they are all at the same game of trying to make the best product at the lowest price, and year-on-year consistency can suffer as a result. I suspect that peat-free composts are even more prone to this as they depend quite heavily on council compost supplies which can vary considerably in quality.

Quite easy to find split bags in the store ( ::)) and I would certainly want to at least look at a sample if I was buying that quantity (and make sure that the delivery came from the same batch.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:50 »
Would really appreciate some feedback on this from someone who has had a chance to look at the product, as my nearest Wickes is about 100 miles away!  (Story of my life).  Also, thanks for the Allotment Association suggestion but I'm not sure we have such a thing around here.  We really are out in the sticks in the best (usually) possible way.   ::)

xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband
xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette
xx
best multi purpose compost 2018

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 16:19
by Tracybutton
xx
Homebase Multi purpose compost

Started by beanqueen on Grow Your Own

87 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 21:25
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 40 queries.