Feather pecking

• 9 Replies

Bodger

Feather pecking
« on: October 10, 2007, 11:03 »
The habit of feather pecking in chickens is more often than not, down to the conditions that the chickens are kept in but I wondered if people realised that this is not always the case and that it can also be an inherited trait in some strains of chickens.

I say this for the following reason. I've kept my particular breed of chickens  for forty something years with hardly a problem. I have a friend however who has particular strains of the same breed which has massive problems every year. I've always put this down to his husbandry or lack of it.
A couple of years ago I had some of his birds and yes ! You've guessed it, every brood with any of his blood in it has feather pecked this year, whilst all my own stock kept in identical conditions havent.

I've enquired with other people who have had birds of my friends strain and in the main they have experienced the same problems.

muntjac

Feather pecking
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:21 »
id be considering culling the whole strain out mate .. jeans huh  :roll:  :) or trying to make a break in the cycle by bitting the chicks early and then all through thier lives for a couple three generations ,dont say it will work but its worth a try if they are exceptional birds otherwise :)
still alive /............

Bodger

Feather pecking
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:12 »
I only keep exceptional birds Munty :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I already have plans a foot to weed the lot out.

I keep really good records, so I know exactly where that blood has gone thank goodness.

muntjac

Feather pecking
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:15 »
why not have a go at the retraing bit tho bodger .you could start it on a small scale and who knows they could be conditonallly corrected  :)

Bodger

Feather pecking
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 12:27 »
I'm convinced that its some how got into their genetic make up. I know people who keep  the same strains of chickens, in different parts of the country and they have the same problems with them.

muntjac

Feather pecking
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 12:30 »
i guessed that thought but maybe a reconditioning from birth to death of a few gens would instill a new thinking in the new stock .......... scientist brain on here  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

Bodger

Feather pecking
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 12:39 »
Nah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll just eat em That should condition them :lol:

muntjac

Feather pecking
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 12:51 »
or condition ya gums  :lol:  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Feather pecking
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 14:23 »
Well, some of my chicks are STILL tail pecking.  They are now in FOUR brooders, so not too crowded, they are not too cold, and not too warm.  They have chick crumb ad lib and fresh water 2 or 3 times a day.  

And Stonehead who left a comment on my blog says his chooks are totally free range, and many of them still do it too!

So, are they genetically inadequate too?? lol

Bodger

Feather pecking
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 14:55 »
Theres a good chance that they could be. What breed of chickens are they. It might be checking up with the breeder to see if its a problem that he's come across before with his particular strain. If he's honest he'll tell you whether or not thats the case.

Incidentally I always brood chicks under a red light.

xx
Feather pecking or ......

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 18:18
by bettyblue
xx
feather pecking

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 14:11
by lisa80
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Mickey2stroke on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 23:57
by Big Jen
xx
Feather Pecking Again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:07
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 35 queries.