Finally, A Marrow recipe that's Nice!

• 4 Replies

Raven50

Finally, A Marrow recipe that's Nice!
« on: September 15, 2012, 17:58 »
Having a plentiful supply of overgrown cougettes because we'd been away for a few days, I have been searching for a way to use them. However, I HATE MARROW with a passion, and only grow one green and one yellow plant for TOH as he complains if he misses out on his courgettes-and-crispy-bacon-on-toast on the odd occasion he fancies it...

I hate wasting things though, so I've tried different ways to use them up with little succes so far. No matter what I do, they always end up tasting like the watery, grey mushy slime I remember being forced to eat as a child   :wacko:

But, I've tried a recipe for, of all things, jam, and it's turned out really well - I even had some on my toast this morning  :)

The secret seems to be the large lump of grated fresh ginger that goes in with the marrow, which adds a strange heat and piquancy and changes the taste of the marrow altogether. The taste is hard to describe - the recipe I used was an American one from the All Recipes website, where you cook and puree the marrow first - but I'd recommend giving it a go if you have a giant courgette/marrow surplus, even if you can't stand them!
'The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.'
 A Einstein

'Everything in the Universe, stars, planets, the earth, you, me - everything is made of *Stuff*'
Prof Brian Cox

madcat

Re: Finally, A Marrow recipe that's Nice!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 18:22 »
I know what you mean - marrow and ginger jam is a bit of a secret pleasure ...  people look at you a bit odd if you talk about it, but it makes a good favoursome alternative to marmalade.  cheaper too! 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 14:46 »
This is a recipe I've used in the past- can't remember where I got it from, but it makes a good jam! 

Ingredients
6lb x Marrow peeled, seeded & diced (1x1inch cubes).
6lb x Jam sugar
4 x Lemons, zested & juiced.
3oz x Root Ginger, chopped & bruised (bashed with a rolling pin to release the natural ginger oils).

Method
Layer the diced marrow with the sugar and leave overnight.
Place marrow & sugar mixture into a preserving pan.  Add lemon zest & juice.
Tie the bruised ginger root in muslin, and add to the pan.
Bring the mixture to the boil & simmer for 3 to 4 hours (or until setting point is reached).  Strain & pot as usual.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 14:55 »
I hate wasting things though, so I've tried different ways to use them up with little succes so far. No matter what I do, they always end up tasting like the watery, grey mushy slime I remember being forced to eat as a child   :wacko:

I make a spicy dry mince mix, like I would for stuffing peppers and cut them in half longways, scrape out a centre, stuff and bake. No "watery, grey mushy slime" in sight. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 17:18 »
I did a marrow and lemon jam a few years back and I make marrow and ginger chutney which is nice.

xx
Broad Beans - Nice recipe

Started by puravida on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 18:50
by shaun
xx
Quantity of Marrow for Marrow & Ginger Jam

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 17:24
by cheshirecheese
xx
marrow Q

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 11:46
by sunshineband
xx
Marrow

Started by Storeman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 10:25
by WG.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 35 queries.