Charlotte potatoes

• 14 Replies

fatcat1955

Charlotte potatoes
« on: July 28, 2011, 20:03 »
All my Charlotte pots fall to bits when boiled, bought from T&M so not cheap pound shop ones. They are only in the pan for minutes when they start breaking up. Any thought's?

Carollan

• Experienced Member
Re: Charlotte potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 20:09 »
I steam mine ,they still start to collapse around the edges,but not as badly as when they are boiled. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 20:10 »
Two thoughts (might be three!)  :unsure:

I've grown most of the usual suspects as far as new potatoes are concerned, and once they get beyond salad potato size they do seem to become a bit more "fragile."

They probably firm up with storage but then they don't have the same taste.

Steaming them over a bed of mint seems to work quite well (but you still need to keep an eye on them.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 20:18 »
This happens with a lot of home grown spuds, not just earlies. 

The trick is to steam them (as said) or keep a much closer eye on them when cooking.  They are usually a lot quicker to cook than shop bought spuds (I've found by at least 5 minutes)and do have that 'turning point' that our Jay has said that can mean they turn to mush quickly.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 20:20 »
I've found that my Charlottes are doing this this year as well. PJ's & LC's are fine & Epicure are even better cookers.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 20:32 »
Last year the charlotte's were lovely boiled but this year....rubbish. Swift and Estima were good this year too so i will put it down to weather, dodgy seed potatoes or just experience. Thanks for the replies folks.

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 21:41 »
my charlottes are fine, OH tends to roast them or chip them with skins on but even if boiling for potato salad without skins seem to hold together very well. Superb as a jacket potato - just right size for the grandkids.
I have watered moderately through driest bits of the season and getting good sizes and quantity. Perhaps that is not so easy for everyone
R

hogwarden

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 22:23 »
I agree-best of the lot for flavour and cooking-haven`t seen one fall apart when boiled :nowink:

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 15:23 »
My charlottes are fine and taste lovely. Are you sure that yours are charlotte? They should be oval, smooth and yellowish in colour.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 16:04 »
I'm sure mine are Charlotte and they do split.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 18:14 »
Mine too  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sarajane

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 22:45 »
My Charlottes are cooking lovely, as are my red duke of yorks.....however

years ago all of my spuds used to collapse when cooked and I nearly gave up growing them until I stopped watering them.  Now I only water when the leaves have drooped so much they look as though they are on the point of ..dying.  I mainly let nature take its course and once planted they are left to get on with it.

Spuds are like sponges and if they take on too much water they will 'fall apart' when cooked.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 22:57 »
Mine aren't watered either .... and they still fall apart

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 06:17 »
Mine are right next to the first early spuds which don't fall apart, so the growing conditions are the same.

Last year the situation was just the opposite.

Anyway they're now bigger than salad spud size and make great garlic & herb wedges!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 17:40 »
I did Charlotte this year for the first time, and have been really pleased how well they cooked. I'm the world's worst person for walking off and forgetting about the spuds, and I haven't managed to make one disintegrate yet. The PJs, on the other hand, I wasn't so pleased with. They taste nice but I like to cook new spuds with their skin on, and PJs always seem to shed their skin when cooking.

xx
charlotte potatoes

Started by jack russell on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 21:18
by wighty
xx
Charlotte Potatoes

Started by Gardener Girl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 22:39
by titch
xx
Potatoes

Started by ciderman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 22:53
by Poolfield2
xx
Potatoes

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 14:27
by John

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 29 queries.