Show advice/rant and finding judges

• 8 Replies

Truffle

• Experienced Member
Show advice/rant and finding judges
« on: November 27, 2022, 11:13 »
Good Morning Everyone.

I really need some advice regarding our local show. Whilst on holiday I was voted in to be in charge of running 2023 years allotment show. I helped out in the last show which was pre-pandemic and prior to that I have entered a couple of shows. I was rather reluctant as I have no idea how to arrange such things but I was assured by Chairlady and committee members that I would given full support.

The shows have been quite sporadic and therefore we don't have "regular" judges to call upon. The chairlady's best mate has apparently manged to get some contact with the last judges, but nothing more has been mentioned. I have nudged on our Watsapp group but still we are 3 months in and only have 2 provisional dates for the local hall. None of the emails to the judges or their details have been shared with me so I'm at the point of pulling my hair out. It's like she seems to think her bestie the Chairlady is running this and it doesn't matter if she forgets to email the judges or not let me and the other lady helping out, know what's going on.  I wanted to get a list out to members straight after New Year so people could grow for the show.

The problem is, if this is a success the Chair and bestie will happily take any praise but if it messes up or doesn't happen it's solely on my head. So I need to to take the bull by the horns and get organising.

We are a "bit of fun" show so no need for OTT strictness for rules and reg's but I'm happy to take that if that's case. I just really need so advice how to get this thing moving.

Firstly I really need some advice on where to find judges? If I can pin this down then I can crack on.

Absolutely ANY advice is welcomed. Thanks for letting me rant.

Truffle

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Show advice/rant and finding judges
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 11:42 »
If you were voted in without giving your prior consent I would advise you to pull out… it’s a poison chalice.

If you had previously agreed that they could put your name forward then you’ll have to crack on with it.  You’ll need to contact the person who ran it last time for advice.

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 12:19 »
Hi Aunty, Thanks for your reply.

Sadly the people who ran it last time have moved away and anything they did leave is not really that useful.

If I don't find a Judge or Judge list soon I will definitely be looking at pulling out. :(

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 12:36 »
If it was possible to agree more than 100% with Aunty, I'd do it.

I used to volunteer for various good purposes: Boy Scout Leader, neighborhood swimming pool board member, even president of my local orchid society. I learned that if I took on such tasks, or even shared the tasks with a few other brave souls, it invited other participants/beneficiaries to do absolutely nothing!

Even worse was getting "requests" from scout parents to take on extra tasks, such as organizing a cub scout color guard for the funeral of a church parishioner, or plan activities that violated our rules (such as taking cub scouts one at a time in a small private airplane, piloted by a grandparent; the plane crashed a month after I said "no", killing the grandparent).

Chairman and bestie are not keeping up their end of things, or even communicating. That adds to your work, rather than helping.  Find a polite way of leaving the show in their "capable hands" and bow out.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 12:37 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 16:14 »
Where we lived before the gardeners society got judges from the RHS approved list.  Where I am now we used a member of the committee and his wife because it was a 'fun' show not to be taken seriously (fat chance).   

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 16:35 »
We had a local show at work. Luckily we had one person who was a very keen gardener, and an even more keener wielder of the RHS rules for judging (I still have not got over coming second as the only entrant in a  class!). So, I would initially consider what standards you are after. Are you applying RHS rules or, as you suggest, it's more informal and fun.

Then, if it's more informal, I would essentially find anyone who isn't going to be entering a particular class. Do you have local allotment associations? They may have someone who would be prepared to come along.

You could provide guidance but, essentially, it's a question of a) does the entry meet the standards (e.g. are there three of anything, are they longer than the minimum length if any), and if it does: b) which are the most uniform / unblemished / biggest.

If you wanted to get more picky, you'd need to look at the variety and the RHS rules for that class / variety.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 18:39 »
If you are soldiering on instead of bowing out, here is a suggestion that I have used.

Warning: Absolutely no RHS rules are involved! BY DESIGN!!!

Every adult and child that attends gets a sheet of paper (if they want to be a "judge").  It is divided into squares, one for each category being judged, category name at the top of the square. Each square has three lines under it. You can write any three entrants in the category on those lines, as long as you write each entrant only once. Each line is weighted equally, no first - second - third.

If a "judge" wants to only vote for pumpkins entered by relatives or close friends, fine. If your criteria for selecting onions is how close the color is to your favorite hamster, no problem. If you want to judge beetroot using RHS standards, no problem.

I used this method when Cub Scout pinewood derby cars were being judged on appearance, rather than speed.  Parents could not complain about unfair judging, because everyone was a potential judge!  I literally had not one complaint after.

The added benefit is that if the Chair and besty want a knock-off imitating RHS judging, they will not get it, and they will never ask you again to organize this event.  The best reward of all.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 22:43 »
Brilliant idea, SP.  :D

GraciesGran

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 07:57 »
SP, what a genius idea. 

xx
finding your past

Started by chrissie B on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2018, 20:07
by chrissie B
xx
grumpy getting old man rant

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 13:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Learner driver rant.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2021, 10:45
by al78
clip
Show Time

Started by snowdrops on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2023, 23:59
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 47 queries.