Hello

• 12 Replies

Dinah

Hello
« on: November 24, 2022, 11:26 »
I live in highlands Scotland, on old railway land, so soil not great. I am a complete novice and now I have more time have decided to invest in a poly tunnel and try to grow some veg, I was thinking raised beds and getting some top soil. Any advice on size of tunnel or soil or when to get the poly tunnel (I was thinking January??) would be very much appreciated
Thank you

AndyRVTR

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 12:02 »
Hello and welcome to the forums Dinah  :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 14:28 »
Welcome to the club/madhouse wichever you feel appropriate!

"On old railway land, so soil not great".   Why do you say this?

Cheers,  Tony. :D
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 15:09 »
Welcome to the forum  :)
The size of your polytunnel will depend on what you can afford, and I'd say if you have the cash, get the best/biggest you can afford.
Just so you are aware the cheapest ones, on the likes of ebay, get trashed in any high winds, and the covers start to rot after just a couple of years, if that's all you can afford.

I'd recommend these https://northernpolytunnels.co.uk/hobby-gardening/the-allotment-polytunnel/
but realise they are not within everybody's budget.

Good luck

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 15:42 »
Hi there, I agree with mum on type, as for makes I purchased 1 from First Tunnels April last year 14’ x 25’. I paid extra & had double sliding doors each end, which I now realise I only needed 1 set of as I never open the others, but that would depend on your location but you do need the ventilation a doorway offers. Knowing what I know now I’d have made the doorway but had a fixed panel at the far end. I also had the screw in anchors & the aluminium base rails so there was no digging a trench & burying the plastic in. Might have been ok now but in 10 years or so if the cover needs replacing would be more of an issue age wise. I also had the crop bars which give more strength & rigidity. First Tunnels have a great range of videos on YouTube. The double doors I bought (well comes ad lengths of wood) were warped, but hubby made them up (he is a master craftsman & carpenter,so no issues re making doors). But they just kept getting worse so I rang First Tunnels & they sent more wood. So with that set of doors he made them covered in butterfly netting & made me sets of poly carbonate panels that are removable for various degrees of ventilation.
All in all I’m extremely pleased with it & have had a tremendous array of crops in it from day 2 of tge skin going on.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Dinah

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 15:52 »
Thank you for the welcome!
Re the soil, my home was an old railway shed, according to neighbours soil is poor quality, site of oil storage, coal etc, lots of mares tail, that’s why I was thinking raised beds and top soil?? Very open to any suggestions though
I have been looking at highland poly tunnels, they have a good local reputation apparently and will also come and erect the tunnel, which is a very big plus for me, as I have no carpentry skills, and am not renowned for my practical skills either!! thank you for advice on alternative though, will have a good look, particular note made on doors and ventilation, thank you
Thinking 12 x 15 for size, and still hoping for January (unless that’s a big no no!)
Doing lots of reading meantime!
Thanks so much for your tips!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 19:02 »
I have nothing constructive to say about polytunnels, but welcome to the forum  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dinah

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 21:52 »
The Polytunnel has arrived and it’s up!!!
Went for 20 x 10
Highland Polytunnels supplied and their contractors installed, really good service.
I have a couple of raised beds in
I have made a trellis (watched on internet how to do it) for the peas, from bamboo and string
Have planted some garlic, have an array of seeds to try out
And just excited! It makes me smile a lot just to see it and know that I have so many new things to learn.
Thank you for your warm welcomes
Happy gardening!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 22:04 »
Excellent  :)

Try to hold off sowing seeds too early - look at the seed packet. Although you will have the added shelter of the PT, day length is also relevant, particularly as you are so far north. If you start some seeds off too early, they'll just struggle.

Dinah

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 08:27 »
Thanks for the advice
I’m definitely a bit impatient! So patience is something I will also have to learn. And I want it now!!

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 12:28 »
Wonderful that you’ve got it all up & ready to go. I’ve found it a steep learning curve having the tunnel, but I too love it but I echo the sentiments about not sowing too early unless you have got extras to sow again, but long leggy plants rarely crop well.

Debz

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 22:03 »
Welcome - I'm a bit further south in Glasgow and my seeds only come out the tins when I need to check what I've got for planting.  It's a bit chilly yet even for me to risk planting on the kitchen window sill.  Getting impatient though I'll not lie!

Dinah

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 18:27 »
Well I think I maybe should have taken your advice
Peas in situ, no shoots yet
Garlic in situ, nothing yet
Onion sets planted, nothing yet
Tomatoes beginning to grow!!
Leeks beginning!!
First earlies planted today!!
Temp in tunnel 12 degrees
Bought loads of packets, got some flower seeds
Excited to see what happens next, lighter for longer, warmer in Polytunnel
Just so good to be learning new things
Even collecting wood to saw for the log burner!! So very good to be outside and getting busy,
Have a pond, bought a hoover thing for it, not a great success so far, but determination and patience are a battle that is ongoing!!

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 50 queries.