Anyone in Milton Keynes area with space for a lonely old girl?

• 7 Replies

themagicaltoad1

It's been a long time since I was on this site but I'm hoping there's someone in the Milton Keynes area who can help me out. After 16 yrs keeping hens without any problems, we've had a fox attack, and all except one hen were slaughtered. They were pets, all too old to lay, enjoying their retirement free ranging in the garden. They would put themselves to bed at dusk and be securely locked in their run and coop at night. This must have been a daytime attack, poor things were ripped to pieces and dragged off, it was very distressing finding what was left. One little Light Sussex managed to escape (we think she hid), but now we can't let her have the run of the garden, and she's calling for her friends. She's safe in a large fully enclosed run but she's so lonely, it's heart breaking to see her on her own. We had already decided as the girls died off from natural causes we would not get any more due to my increased disabilities, but we weren't expecting this. Does anyone have space to take in this old girl? she's about 6 or 7 years old but still quite lively though hasn't laid for at least a year. At the minute she's sitting on my daughter's lap watching TV and bok bokking quite happily, obviously enjoying the company. Please let me know asap if you can add her to your flock, I'd hate for her to die of loneliness.

jaydig

Re: Anyone in Milton Keynes area with space for a lonely old girl?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 15:58 »
I had a similar experience with my retired girls when I was finally left with my girl Holly.  It was obvious after a couple of weeks on her own that she was pining, and I was fortunate enough to still be in contact with one of my old plot mates who had a smallholding.  He was more than willing to keep her with his flock although she wasn't laying and she settled in quickly and is living happily with them in a very large, secure enclosure. Space to run around, plenty of 'friends' and very well looked after.
Is there possibly an allotment site near you where you could perhaps put a notice on the access gate.  You may be lucky and find someone, or even someone who knows someone else, who will house your girl.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 16:30 »
The only person on an allotment I knew had chickens lost them all to a fox a while back, and now won't risk having more. This attack happened on Saturday, (2 days ago), so it's early days, I'll keep looking (and hoping) to find her a nice new home.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 17:36 »
Bit too far for me otherwise I’d happily have her with my 3.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 17:53 »
Thanks snowdrop. If I can't find anyone closer I might take you up on your offer.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 10:01 »
Still looking for a new home. I'm willing to travel up to about a half hour drive from Milton Keynes, Northampton, Aylesbury, Dunstable? Anyone?

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 14:22 »
Just to give an update..... this lonely old girl has now gone to a lovely new home, with lots of friends and space to run around.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 14:29 »
Just to give an update..... this lonely old girl has now gone to a lovely new home, with lots of friends and space to run around.

Marvellous!

'All's well that hens well'!

xx
Lonely old girl

Started by jhub on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 00:45
by jhub
xx
Milton fluid

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 09:17
by joyfull
xx
Lonely Hen

Started by yorkylover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:24
by joyfull
sad
lonely hen

Started by snowy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:42
by andreadon

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 42 queries.