Veggie recipe sources

• 6 Replies

samjess

Veggie recipe sources
« on: October 21, 2013, 17:15 »
 I am getting bored of churning out the usual meals we seem to have on a regular basis, roast, casserole, something with mince, something with sausages. I also find the meat I can afford doesn't seem to have much flavour.

So I am looking to do more veggie recipes with pulses but my books are rather outdated and not inspiring.  I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for books or websites to inspire and not using too way out ingredients. We like flavour but not too much heat by way of curry or chilli!

thanks

allotmentann

Re: Veggie recipe sources
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 19:14 »
My favourite book is Hugh Fearnley's veg book, but I mostly use websites. I don't get many from the 'veggie' websites as to be honest, I find a lot of them bland. I tend to go to my favourite sites and either go to the veggie section or type the veg I want to use in the search bar, this tends to bring up more veggie dishes than meat ones. My favourite websites are Epicurious, taste.com, the food network, Emeril lagasse, BBC food, BBC good food (although they have just made their web site horrid) and Williams Sonoma. I have made gorgeous veggie recipes from all of these, and they all have a ratings system. I like to know if most people have had problems or didn't like if, so I can avoid too many mistakes.
One of my favourite blogs is frugal feeding, some really good and inexpensive recipes there.   :)

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 19:23 »
I have also got great recipes from fine cooking, Martha Stewart and food and wine.  :)

samjess

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 21:32 »
Thank you for the links.

Hubby is a meat and 2 veg guy born & brought up in Yorkshire so  have to tread carefully   with meals without any meat!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 22:39 »
Two books I used to destruction when I was much younger and watching the pennies were Middle Eastern Cookery by David Scott and Indian Vegetarian cookery by Jack Santa Maria.

Both currently available on Amazon.

We are finding that we are enjoying vegetables more than meat these days since we have been growing our own.

If you are not keen on too much heat, cut down on the chillies or leave them out. There are loads of fragrant spiced curries without the heat.

Or you might find the middle Eastern one has less fiery food.

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 23:34 »
I love Madhur Jaffrey's "Eastern Vegetarian Cooking" book - I've only tried a few of the recipes - her Samosa recipe being top of the list

The dedicated veggie book we use most is the "Cranks recipe book" by David Canter - two dishes we regularly make are "Cranks nut roast" - and "Macro Rice" (rice, onions, lots of parsley and some tamari soy sauce)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 07:40 »
Of course, Val has plenty non-meat receipes on the main website:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
Spectacular veggie recipe needed

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

67 Replies
Last post December 22, 2007, 12:29
by David.
xx
Great store cupboard veggie recipe

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 15:40
by Ice
xx
More veggie help please

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 22:39
by noshed
xx
Veggie Help Please!

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 14:56
by Ice

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 39 queries.