Calling all birthday party experts - Jelly advice needed!!

• 4 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
I have a great Jane Asher locomotive cake tin which I bought in the sale just after I found out I was taking on my 3 year old son, with a view to using it for his 4th birthday cake.  However, my husband proudly walked in on Monday night with a spiderman mask cake instead (boys eh!) ::)

I would still love to use this cake tin, but instead would love to use it for jelly instead.  I really fancy making multi-coloured layered jelly like http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1766/rainbow-jelly.aspx

However, the cake tin itself is made up of the engine, plus 8 moulded carriages (like this one - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/11521/The-Cake-Train) so would need rearranging into a train format.  I am concerned I will need to mess about with the jelly too much to rearrange it and it will collapse on me. 

Help!  Does anyone have any tips that might help - should I try to line with cling film?  I am worried I might lose the detailing.

I had thought of effective taping together sections of card over each mould and, then when I turn it out, I can then separate the carriages and arrange that way. 

Am I setting myself up for failure here?
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

snowdrops

Re: Calling all birthday party experts - Jelly advice needed!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 18:00 »
That sounds feasible to me,I would try lining it with cling film & fill with water first you will be able to look through it & see if the film is creased. As for the cardboard cover that with foil or something so it is water repellent,you can get sheets of hard plastic but can't remember where from,possibly craft shops for cutting stencils/patterns from. If you make it a day or so before the party you could try tipping it out so you can do it again if it goes wrong,also make your jelly stronger,less water.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 20:10 »
I don't like to contradict but I'd be surprised if you can get the cling film in smoothly without creases, so it would show.  I'd be tempted to use a little less water in the jelly to ensure a firmer set - I've done this quite a lot and found it helps if you want it to hold a shape without collapsing.  If the jelly is set quite firm, you should be able to move it a little, but I'd turn them out pretty close to where you want them.

Have you got time to do a trial run of one carriage?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 23:17 »
I haven't got anything sensible to add to what's already been said, but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease add a photo of it when you've done it. It sounds amazing!  :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 19:49 »
I did manage it in the end, but had trouble getting it out of the baking tin.  I decided to opt for the stronger jelly mix and sitting it in hot water.  It did work, but the train lost a lot of its definition as the jelly did melt in the detailed bits of the tin.

So, whilst it still looked like a train and the rainbow layers were effective, I was a bit disappointed. 

We had it the day after the party on my daughter's actual birthday and I must admit, I didn't take a photo, but I do plan to try it again (possibly not with multiple layers this time!) and I will post up photos of this effort.

Of course, it was greeted with joy and eaten with relish regardless!!!

xx
Artichoke Party - advice needed

Started by ex-cavator on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 23:01
by ex-cavator
xx
Calling all yogurt experts...

Started by strangerachael on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 13:53
by strangerachael
xx
Blackcurrant Jelly help needed

Started by Rowan on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 22:55
by Poolfield2
xx
crabapple jelly guidance needed!

Started by squink on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2007, 17:27
by tenderness

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.