seed potateos

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

seed potateos
« on: October 27, 2019, 14:21 »
as I've been having some slug damage in my potatoes when we dug them so I thought Il go for a variety that was hopefully slug resistance so I though about going for Kestrel next season said to be slug resistance?  we normally grow cara or desiree 

so as  Kestrel is a new variety for me I was hopping someone could tell me how this variety performs
and if you think its worth growing as alternative to those mentioned

AnneB

Re: seed potateos
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 15:41 »
I can recommend Kestrel as a very good second early.  It is not a maincrop like Cara and Desiree so comes out of the ground earlier, giving less opportunity for the slugs.  I grew it this year and it seemed untroubled by slugs compared with my Red Duke of York that I had left to get a bit bigger (they are a 1st early).
It has a very good flavour and is excellent for mash and roasts.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 17:43 »
last time I grew kestrel I found them to be a tasty potato but would quickly go mushy on cooking. they were also a bit scabby. no slug damage.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 20:59 »
I've grown Kestrel quite often.  It is a reliable cropper and doesn't seem to get bothered by slugs.  You can dig them as 2nd earlies, or leave them to grow a bit more and make an early main crop. 

It is very good in clay soil.  When I first got my plot and the soil was not so great, Kestrel would always perform, no matter what.  My soil is a bit better now, so I've branched off into other varieties.  I'd grow them again though.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 09:43 »
I've found Sarpo Mira to resist slugs as well as blight but this year we had a lot of small black slugs that did cause some damage. Very different type of potato, dense. Makes a good mash and doesn't go mushy when boiled but I'd suggest trying a small quantity and seeing if you like them. Huge tubers, btw. Bit susceptible to hollow heart if watering isn't regular.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Mintyboy

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 10:37 »
I've been growing Kestrel for years,for me it is my 'banker' potato. I grow it as a maincrop, and leave it in the ground and lift it when needed. In the past I have been lifting them as late as December with very little if any slug damage. As with all the potatoes I grow on my plot I tend to steam them rather than boil them otherwise they do tend to disintergrate.
Also as they are a second early they tend to bulk up well before the blight hits.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 16:41 »
looking at your replies I have to say you've convinced me to buy Kestrel for next season thanks to all for those replies

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 17:04 »
I forgot to ask has anyone grew a variety of potato called Record because I can remember when I worked on a farm some 50 years ago we grew record for the  local crisp factory and I found them to be a lovely potato for baking and chips they wasn't to bad for boiling they took a little longer to boil and they where more of a yellow colour than white and also made a good jacket potato

if I can find some Record seed for sale anywhere between now and spring I'm going to get some just for baking and chips it would be nice to know if anyone has been growing this variety and if so how you rated them

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
from seed

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 14:06
by bigben

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 47 queries.