Fushias

• 8 Replies

flowergirl

Fushias
« on: February 16, 2008, 17:29 »
I brought a couple of fushias from the garden center last week (plug plants) is it to early to plant them outside?One says its hardy but the others don't
Thanks

flowergirl

Fushias
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 22:18 »
help pleassseee

loam ranger

• Experienced Member
Fushias
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 22:24 »
Hi I would pot them on and keep them frost free untill it warms up a bit more,

jack russell

Fushias
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 22:43 »
yep i am with loam ranger here there is no hurry  :wink:  just keep them comfortable in there younger dayz and they will be ok later  :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Fushias
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 11:14 »
Definately keep them frost free to avoid disapointment.  The hardy plant will only be hardy once it get more mature and even then will most likely need to have some protection if left outside.  I have a large hardy which is growing on my patio and it is fleeced over winter once the old foliage is cut back.  It bounces back every year to give a fine display.

Regards Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

flowergirl

Fushias
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 17:09 »
Thanks guys for the advice will keep them cosy for now then :D

mumof4

Fushias
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 19:23 »
Don't do it - keep them nice and warm, when i lived in my old house I had over 100 different fushias. Like already said a hardy fushia needs a summer season to establish itself. However the frost can still get them depending on where you live

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
Fushias
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 19:29 »
As the other posters say, do not plant outside untill all danger of frost is past. The term hardy as applied to Fuchsias causes some confusion. Frost will kill the foilage of all Fuchsias. The difference with hardy varietys is that the roots will usually survive and send out new shoots the following spring
Brian
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

gobs

Fushias
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 20:03 »
Let's not get carried away folks. My neighbour has an evergreen Fuchsia hedge. :lol: Hardy is hardy to a few degrees of freezing.

Other wise most can be overwintered with some form of protection.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.