Pecking again

• 4 Replies

gladiator

Pecking again
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:28 »
I have 3 chickens a Light sussex, Bluebella and a speckled. Last month having problems with two of my chickens ganging up on one and pecking its feathers off and making it bleed around its legs. I got some very good advice from the forum ( thankyou).
In the end I had to resort to anti peck rings which I left in for 2 weeks. I took them out at the weekend. But now one chicken has started pecking again. Can i put the anti peck ring in again? how long can i keep them in for?
I have also increased size of run , put anti pecking blocks in also. Do not Know what else to do.

PaulineM

Re: Pecking again
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 13:15 »
I have no experience in this area but I would think it would do no harm to put the ring back on especially as it seems to have stopped the other one.
Good luck
Pauline
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 15:33 »
Yes you can put them back in again just make sure that they are really clean.

sallylouise

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 20:46 »
HI
my chickens went through a stage last year of henpecking, in the end I ended up redoing their run and ading loads of new bits and bobs to give them something else to peck at and it worked I added a straw bale, logs, branchs, I hung cd's down from the roof as they were shiny, pecking blocks and I also ensured they had a good free ranging session every other day ( the run they have is pretty big so they don't need to go out everyday) I also added cabbages, I put food in 2 places as well so they were getting food,  all these seem to work I had brought the pecking rings but didn't need to use them, I also used that anti pecking spray but that did not work for me, hope this helps you ;>)

gladiator

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:52 »
Thanks to you all. I have put CD,s , cabbages and an out side perch to know avail. Could it be the food, I give them Beards garden mix an all in one could this be the problem although it has 11% protein.

question
Hen Pecking - Not sure what to do?

Started by Bev on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 21:51
by barley
xx
Why is she pecking herself?

Started by Tinkers on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 14:00
by Tinkers
xx
Hen mis-pecking

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2015, 08:38
by Sassy
xx
hen pecking .

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 11:06
by Sassy

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 39 queries.