• 49 Replies

janet12000

Re: Pets as therapy
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 21:19 »
I have passed a crb check? :)

raeburg

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 22:16 »
when my daughter was in hospitall once we were visited by a Newfoundland PAT dog.  Cheered us both up no end  :happy:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 22:50 »
Hi Janet, i dont know if this link is any use to you, they may be able to point you in the right direction if its not! They have some good info on there about the process of getting your dog registered as a pat dog. It looks fab Janet, im sure you will both get loads out of it and so will the people you visit. Good look with it  xx
http://www.petsastherapy.org/

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 23:21 »
"Cats"

Am I allowed to mention them here as it's all about dogs?  :unsure:

Well.... here goes (if you'll forgive me?).....

We lost the last of our two cats in the summer - had them for 14 years (sisters).
My OH wants a kitten (or two!!) so I thought, having resisted the idea for a while, I'd have a look to see if I could find a couple of straight forward moggie kittens (tabby or the like).

Our last two were such a comfort after a heavy day - always there and dependable - great to relax with as they curled up nearby...

So far I've not been able to find anyone locally who has kittens for sale (other than a couple of "posh jobs" that we are not so keen on - to say nothing of the price!).

What I'd like to know is ....(being ignorant of these matters)... do cats produce kittens in winter? Might there be more about in spring?

Any advice would be welcome, please, if you can help.
Thanks.

PS Your idea sounds brilliant Janet!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 23:30 »
Speak to Caralou, she knows of lots of Kittens needing loving families :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 23:51 »
If you want moggie kits contact a local rehoming charity as there are thousands without homes and even more in the current climate as people are dumping more and more at shelters  :( Our local branch has more requests than we can cope with to take cats and kittnes in and sadly some people arent kind enough to wait and dump or worse their pets  :mad:

Cats Protection and RSPCA will want to carry out a home check - all that means is if they go outside that you're not on a main road or area that is a danger to them. Local smaller charities dont have the manpower to homecheck and you will usually go along on a saturday afternoon and view all their pens and pick a kitkat or two to take home with you. Donations vary but you can expect from £20-£50 or more if you can afford it. You also know they will have been vet checked and with cpl or rspca they will have had first vaccinations and be chipped if kittens before rehoming and if 5 months or older will have had their op.

Female cats more commonly come on heat in spring and May-August are the biggest kitten times, but cats do have kittens all year round so there will be kittens at local charities looking for homes. If you really want a kitten and not a cat consider upto 4 months old as they are still very kitteney until then - although my 5 year old is the biggest of all so as with anything depends on personality!

Check out www.cats.org.uk for local cpl branch and I'm sure one of my counterparts will be happy to help you meet your new little terrors  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 00:09 »
Sounds brilliant - thanks for advice!  :)

janet12000

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 18:16 »
no u need to be veeted well the dog does, by a vet or a volenterr of the PAT ppls..

I have had the form through today gizooty.
I am going to have a wade through it later.

Lizzie......thats the folk on your link I contacted.

Have had a quick look at the checks they do (on the dog) and think Bea would pass all of them. One is that the dog needs to be clean and groomed (obvious really).
I can just imagine Bea running off to roll in a load of mud before I take her to be assessed.  :lol:

gizooty..... how often do you get called upon? what kind of places do you visit?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 20:21 »
ww, im excited for you- good luck ;) x

Flowerpower136

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 09:53 »
I'm currently going through the process of moving Mum into residential care, and the place I've picked for her has a visiting PAT dog.

It was one of the reasons I chose that particular home.  It's an incredibly worthwhile thing to do.  It's a win win situation all round from what I can see.

The dog will love it, and so will you, and such pleasure for the resdidents.  I know with my Mum it will become a treat to look forward to.

Let us know how you get on.

janet12000

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 19:21 »
Bea has been booked in for her assessment at at 10 am on the 12th Dec.
I hope to God she passes. :)
No chewing Zimmer frames Bea!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 19:29 »
Awww! bless her! go Bea! you will be fab  :D
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 20:11 »
"Cats" again...

Just thought I'd let you know, thanks to Carlou's advice, we have a visitor arriving tomorrow to carry out an assessment to see if we, and the house, are fit for a  kitten..

Our local cat rescue centre has been in contact to say they will arrive tomorrow morning to vet us....

Sounds a little like the system for applying to adopt children (well, a bit)... so we will be on our best (usual) behaviour and keep our fingers crossed..  :happy:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 10:49 »
"Cats" again...

Just thought I'd let you know, thanks to Carlou's advice, we have a visitor arriving tomorrow to carry out an assessment to see if we, and the house, are fit for a  kitten..

Our local cat rescue centre has been in contact to say they will arrive tomorrow morning to vet us....

Sounds a little like the system for applying to adopt children (well, a bit)... so we will be on our best (usual) behaviour and keep our fingers crossed..  :happy:

take it from a very tired and frustrated me....its nothing like system for adopting kiddies :ohmy:

Janet that is fab news, i'll keep everything crossed  :lol: x

Parsnip

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 12:25 »
"Cats" again...

Just thought I'd let you know, thanks to Carlou's advice, we have a visitor arriving tomorrow to carry out an assessment to see if we, and the house, are fit for a  kitten..

Sounds a little like the system for applying to adopt children (well, a bit)... so we will be on our best (usual) behaviour and keep our fingers crossed..  :happy:

Ooh lovely - don't forget we want lots of pics when you get the kitten (s)   ;)

xx
Your Pets

Started by mrs bouquet on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 14:16
by sunnywillow
xx
our pets

Started by yaxley on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 12:59
by Agatha
xx
Pets with feathers?

Started by Paul Plots on Pets without Feathers

51 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 10:33
by Paul Plots
xx
Pets Gallery

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

1711 Replies
Last post January 26, 2024, 20:25
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 39 queries.