Dog with hacking cough

• 4 Replies

Eblana

Dog with hacking cough
« on: February 24, 2013, 11:49 »
Our dog developed a hacking cough about a month ago, sounds like he is trying to cough up a hairball.  I have brought him to the vets three times because we went from thinking he had a cold to thinking he had cancer.  Initially he had two doses of antibiotic as the vet found he had an infection.  However the cough returned this week and I have brought him back to the vet.  This time there was no infection present so the vet could get a good look down his throat.  The vet says that he has a hardened larynx and is basically trying to cough his voice box up.  He has put him on steroids to see will these work and if not will have to operate, he has also suggested using a cough bottle that can be bought across the counter.  Has anyone else any experience in dealing with this and is there anything I can do in conjunction with the steroids to help him along e.g. natural therapies.

yaxley

Re: Dog with hacking cough
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 20:51 »
Try typing into yahoo   '' natural therapies for a dog with a cough '' may be a few things there that may help you ...
Grow organic as nature intended

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 22:34 »
Honey and lemon can soothe a cough on a dog  ;) poor pup I hope he gets well soon.

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 19:50 »
I googled and they suggested removing his collar as this can press on the larynx and also giving warm honey and lemon as suggested by Dawnuss.  I have tried both and he is definitely more comfortable tonight, he is now only coughing when he gets excited. 

Unfortunately this is something he is going to have for the rest of his life so I need to ensure that he is as comfortable as possible with it.

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 22:59 »
Heya

Hope your dog is doing better- are you now walking him on a harness as this will help to prevent a re-occurance?

Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.