My Chickens have leg mites - help please!

• 14 Replies

bertha

My Chickens have leg mites - help please!
« on: April 21, 2010, 22:03 »
 From reading a couple of poultry books, I recognised 4 of my 5 hens have leg mites, they suggested vaseline to suffocate them, so on Sunday I duly smothered all of their legs in the stuff (easier said than done)!! But today one of them is definately in some discomfort so I contacted the vet for some mite spray. However, what was offered was a dropper system which would affect the eggs, I did'nt feel this was the right thing to do, can anyone help please and advise where I can get the right treatment? In every other way they are thriving and I get lots of eggs. I keep them very clean and there is no evidence of any mites on the perches. 

Cathy

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: My Chickens have leg mites - help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 22:05 »
Welcome to the forums Bertha  :D

Sorry to hear about your chickens.  I've moved your question across to the Hen House as that's where it's best to ask questions about chickens and where the chickeny experts hang out  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

raeburg

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 22:18 »
There are commercially available sprays that you can buy from places such as Countrywide, I haven't used any of these.    You can get Benzyl Benzoate (bought from the chemist) and paint this on their legs and then do the vaseline thing.  The dropper is a mite treatment but this can sometimes take time to kill scaly le mites as there is less blood flow to the scaly skin on a birds leg.  Good luck

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 22:33 »
Dont know if this is the right way to go but i've recently seen 2 people on my allotment do this treatment with great/ quick success and no apparent side effects.

Wash legs and feet with weak solution of anti-bacterial soap(human type)

Bathe with surgical spirit

Cover with vaseline

Seemed to show major improvement in days and cleared within the week!

Maybe someone can inform if this is not a good thing to try.

raeburg

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 22:38 »
The surgical spirit can be quite painfull when applied to an already sore area.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 23:26 »
i understand where you coming from raeburg, as i said in post not sure if the right way to go. The 2 lots of chickens i saw treated where ok with it though. Even if they didnt like it would it be any worse than when i put anti-septic in a cut and it stings for 10 mins but i dont get infected???  Main thing though is too know we care!!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 23:29 »
i think one of my girls has this as i  noticed some lifted and enlarged areas of scales today - are they more common at this time of year? - i suppose they must be very catching too?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:30 »
they are common at any time, also some birds will look like they have it but they will have been treated but have to wait until they moult and their old scales fall off. Just a word of advice - do not try to pull any of the raised scales off.
Staffies are softer than you think.

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:30 »
we bought some nettex scaly leg mite spray just as a precaution on advice from a friend ,its mainly for my pekins as they are prone to it .It was £5.95 from sapps but i think most pet stores have a similar product for parrots /bugies etc you have to treat them once then again in 7 days to break the life cycle of the mites also can be used every 3 months as a preventative :)

TeaPots

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 19:35 »
I am now preparing to be berated by everyone,   :unsure: but I use WD40, holding the birds upside down, spray their little legs, because yhey upside down, the spray runs upa and under the scales, right to the source of the nasty little wotsits. I know several people who use it regularly, and have tried it myself. It definately kills the mite, and sort of moisturises their legs.  I have not used it on broken skin, as I should think that would sting.  :ohmy:

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 20:45 »
My neighbour used diesil on her hen with leg mite. The hen didn't seem bothered at all.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 09:17 »
Petroleum jelly (Vaseline or Vick's vapour rub) etc should be applied twice a day for several days - this method will work as it will suffocate the mites - please note that the scales will remain raised until they moult.
If you have frontline to treat your chickens with for lice etc (I get the frontline spray prescribed from my vets for my chickens) then this will also work.

WD40 according to the data sheet I have (part of coshh regulations that I keep this info for work) can lead to headaches, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, cracking and drying of the skin. It recommends hands are protected when using and if it comes into contact with skin to wash with soap and water immediately.

TeaPots

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 17:33 »
Thanks for that Joy  :) I do usually wear gloves, though only cos it is so messy TBH  ::) The mites dont like it, and Its gotta be easier than vaseline etc every day, though I must say, that I use it in the morning, and NOT before they are shut up in bed for the night. (Can you picture the hen saying to the cockerel......."no! I've got a headache, she's done my legs again", his reply "why Margie, your legs look beautiful to me"  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bertha

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 20:03 »
Wow! you are all amazing! Such a font of knowledge at the click of a button! I actually think my vaseline is working, I have noticed the scales seem to be lifting, at first I thought their condition was worse, but I think they are simply shedding their scales, I hope so anyway!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks very much
Cathy

Ribbit

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 12:08 »
I noticed one of our chickens had raised scales I just brought her inside and put vaseline on for two days and she seems to have perked up.
It's like America...But south!

xx
chickens with mites

Started by dave08 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 08:28
by babe
xx
Do mites need chickens to survive?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2012, 18:47
by Yorkie
xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
mites....but not red!

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 11:41
by chooknewbie

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 31 queries.